Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jan-2004, 04:38
Mille

Mood: It's raining, Winters coming...
Awaking a sleeping classic

Hi Guys n gals

I'm just working on putting a 1971 Mark 3 250 back on the road. It has been sitting for the past 8 years and is a little scruffy but not badly.

I've checked & dealt with the tyres brakes, external bearings, e.g swingarm, wheels etc.

It has 8 year old oil in it which I'm about to drain and put some new stuff in to give it a bit of a internal wash before I put it's running oil in it. Is there anything else I need to check?

The bike has been started everything 6 months or so but not actually ridden.

Cheers

Eddie
Old 08-Feb-2004, 20:46

Mach 3?

Kickstart only isnt it? With the plug out give is a few kicks to get theo il pressure up.

Id exepct the worsed really, but i guess its benn open a few times since 1971 just a matter of who well the work was done and how it was treated since.

Who knows??

Kev
Old 12-Feb-2004, 01:28
Mille

Mood: It's raining, Winters coming...
Thanks KFZ

It is kickstart only. The previous owner had owned it since 1990 and bought it with him from the UK to NZ when he emigrated here in 1995. I have the original UK V5 and import docs etc to show this.

It was originally a 350 but that popped in around 1993 and was replaced with the 250 motor. Apparently he had the 250 motor rebuilt at the time and it's only done about 3000 ml on the rebuilt motor.

I've had a look at the clearances etc and they are ok. It's been running briefly and sounds fit. The main other things I have to do are chain and sprockets, rear view mirror, headlight bulb and other minor things.