Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jul-2003, 08:33
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
916 running odd now wont start

my mate had a prob with his 916 this sunday. coming back from a run on dual carriageway he said it seemed like he was losing power and the rev counter was fluctuating on a steady throttle 1-2k.
when we got back home we couldnt restart the bike. there is no engine sound or even turning over sound when the started button is pressed but the rev counter swings up to 10k? any thoughts?
Old 21-Jul-2003, 09:42
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
he had a new battery and reg/rec about a month back so they should be fine. but will look at other points you mentioned. thanks for your help. i did tell him to buy a 999 istread of a 916 but would he listen ??
Old 21-Jul-2003, 13:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Sounds like either the rectifier has gone awol or more likely the connector has burnt out.
Pull the battery tray away from the frame and you should see a connector block with either two or three yellow wires going to it. Chances are it will now be black and smelly
If it has burnt out, cut the connector out, bare the wires back to good copper and remake the connection either with bullets or a straight hard wire connection.