Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Jul-2003, 02:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Firstly, Thanks for plugging my 916 for me Weeksy, maybe I should replace the Road body kit and lights etc with my race bodywork and a Ohlins shock, may get a bit more interest in it that way.
Not sure why people avoid 600s these days, Steel framed CBR600s are excellent value for money, especially ones that are properly sorted for the track and are fantastic at surviving big crashes, any Ram air version with sorted suspension and a stage one tune will easily be capable of a 57 sec lap around Brands Indy. And as for the R6 a incredible bike, as known by some of you out there I built a couple up to production spec out of damage/repairables for this years TT and have recently raced one of them myself at Darley Moor and last Saturday at Donington, where I managed to lap on it faster than I did on my 916. I opted to ride the 600 in the powerbike class against R1s, GSXR1000s etc, but could also have raced it in the Open class or the 600 class or even the streetstocks.
At any one meeting with North Glos club I would be allowed to enter it in the 600 (2 grids), the Open ( 2 grids), the Powerbike (1 grid) , the Streetstocks (1 grid) and for other riders they may also be able to take part in the Novice Open. That could add up to 8 races a day for me and 9 races for a Novice. So although 600 races are heavily subscribed to, there are 2 grids available so upto 80 places for the 600 race and the same again for the Open class. At around £3000 for a road legal, track prepped 100 bhp R6 its not a bad way to go about trackdays and racing.
Kev
Old 24-Jul-2003, 09:42
Mille

Skidlids - Great post/info. Thanks for that.
Old 24-Jul-2003, 11:44
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
The other alternative is to buy a proper race bike-GP250 class like my TZ, mind you at 6ft 3in you may find them a bit of a tight fit. I use mine for track days and it will easily keep up with a CBR600 or R6 on the straights and then absolutely murder them round the corners. 80bhp and 103kg on slicks will do that for you. There is a guy who has made a 350 conversion for the TZ 'V'twin which I am considering, that will allow it to run in the open class with 95 bhp. On a tight twisty track like Cadwell it should be ok amongst the R1's and the like.
Whatever you decide just enjoy it. I got the TZ 'cause it only cost me £2000 which I can afford to throw away if I wreck it. A simple lowside will cost me more than that on the duke.

John
Old 24-Jul-2003, 12:58
Mille

Mood: Fully track-day'ed up!
Yep.Ditto the great post Skidlids.
R6 race prepped + road legal for £3k sounds great to me.Where do i find one ??

Syer.
Old 24-Jul-2003, 20:35
Mille

Got one.Spoke to a guy today who imports 400s.Buys them in winter and does them up and then sells in summer.K plate NC30,any colour you like (he puts on new panels and then new paint inc wheels and all laquered - getting repsol rep),2 new tyres,12 months mot,full service,delivered.Just over 2K.

If you dont like when he turns up you just say no.His words not mine.

Cant wait.

Shuv.
Old 24-Jul-2003, 22:16
Mille

Weeksy,
Many thanks for the offer to thrash the **** out of my new track-bike.One hell of an offer.
Seriously mate - any time,any place,any where - hell i sound like the Martini man even if i dont have the looks.

Will will meet at a track-day soon im sure.
Your welcome to a go.Thanks for the info for the Bemsee sites etc.Appreciated.

Shuv.
Old 25-Jul-2003, 00:31

Quote:
Cant wait for the long blond haired,leggy blond coming round the outside

I can't wait to shuv it round the outside of you, honey!

Old 25-Jul-2003, 00:34
Mille

Mood: like a fresh jelly: Not Set
Syer,

have you been and had a look at www.400greybike.co.uk

Good forum, lots of advice with special racers section. NC30s are good reliable workhorses. Bit more difficult to tune than the ZXR and FZR 400s but the engines really are very robust.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 25-Jul-2003, 05:55
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by sevenfourate
Yep.Ditto the great post Skidlids.
R6 race prepped + road legal for £3k sounds great to me.Where do i find one ??

Syer.

Could well be selling this in the near future.

Yamaha R6, 1999 T reg
Road and Track bike fitted with Race body work, Art race can, Penske shock, Ohlins fork springs, Toby steering damper

£3,000