Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
What size front are you running????

Chris
Old 25-Sep-2006, 09:57
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
I have tried both sizes and prefer the 190 for feel, the 180 should corner quicker but only noticable on the track. Also the 180 wore a hole right through my hugger on a trip to Europe last year (higher profile). So this year i had Tyre Man fit a 190 no problem.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 18:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
thanks for the replies chaps
but what i really want to know is if having the larger tyre on the back will alter the amount of front tyre i use
i have no reason to think it will apart from the fact that i thought i read it on here some where??
the front is the origanal pilot power the new rear is the 2ct
Old 25-Sep-2006, 19:52
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Glyn this was my reply to Sharpo about my experiance with a 180 compared to a 190 rear tyre,plus and little about "pushing it"
You may of noticed that I had a 180 rear on at Cadwell and not my previous 190 that is f you could of got close enough

"Pushing the front" thats when you go into a corner a bit too hot/fast and still be on the front brake ,your'e then "pushing the front" tyre to its limit of adession and a possible spill.
The 180 is the width of the rear tyre (180mm) with a 180 on the rear your front tyre will turn quicker into a corner and lean over in comparison to the width of the rear tyre thus the "Chicken" strip ( where the tyre has not been used)will be wider, but closer to the edge on the rear
With a 190 mm rear tyre because its wider you find the front is slower to turn in and will wear nearer to the edge , as you are trying to overcome the extra width of the rear . Sounds complicated you need to see it more than talk about it. Hope that makes sense

With the 190 on the back I think you will see less wear on the front edges

Fordie

Last edited by Fordie : 25-Sep-2006 at 19:57.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 20:28
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Hmm, pushing the front is where your transferring your body weight under braking through your arms (which generally are locked) to the bars and down to the front wheel, hence pushing.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 20:30
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn
thanks for the replies chaps
but what i really want to know is if having the larger tyre on the back will alter the amount of front tyre i use
i have no reason to think it will apart from the fact that i thought i read it on here some where??
the front is the origanal pilot power the new rear is the 2ct

what are you trying to achieve mate? saving some of the tread?
Old 25-Sep-2006, 20:45
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
what are you trying to achieve mate? saving some of the tread?
:

i am a tad worried that i have no chicken strips on a 180 tyre, that is fitted at the moment.
plenty of peeps have told i not to worry as even though i have reached the edge i've still got the full contact patch
but i've bought a 190 rear any way
i just remembered some one posting summit about it affecting the amount of front tyre used. fordie admited to that
i was a tad worried again as i think i've got pretty much to the edge at the front an all
i'm now going to read fordies post again and try to understand it
Old 25-Sep-2006, 21:24
BSB Star

What pressure are you running the tyres at?
Old 25-Sep-2006, 21:27
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Hmm, pushing the front is where your transferring your body weight under braking through your arms (which generally are locked) to the bars and down to the front wheel, hence pushing.

Pushing the suspension down just works against the fork spring and it "pushes" back against you, I doubt you can press a fork enough to compress it enough to have an effect on the wheel, if you did it would be bottomed out and more than likely the front wheel is losing tyre contact and bouncing, hardly what you want mid corner. you can load the front more with your bodyweight being transerred forward but that is not pushing the front ,it alters weight distribution and the rear will slide easier because there is less eight over it. As fordie says its when the tyre starts to lose grip you asre pushing the limits of tyre adhesion, typically downhill corners or holding too much front brake too late, its about slip, contact patch and grip not where you push.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 21:42
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
What pressure are you running the tyres at?

32-34 front
34-36 rear
depending on the weather e.g hot day lower pressure