Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Feb-2006, 20:45
Ducati Kip

Opinion on Bayliss/Bostrom 998s

Thinking of getting back too a Duc, had 748bip, 748R, 749bip and now have R46 (sorry I know!!) never really got on with the 749 so..........

Been looking at either Bayliss or Bostrom 998s

Comments, anyone got one or had one?

Thanks,

Kip
Old 28-Feb-2006, 22:33
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Are you not ready for a big one now?
Old 28-Feb-2006, 22:57
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
IMHO the Bostrum rep's a stunna and both bikes will be quite well spec'd with chip, pipes and slippers (clutch) if you're lucky.

Good on you for making the right choice !

Only downside is they are usually a bit more expensive than a more standard Bip or S as far as i can make out as they tend to be bought by collectors and ridden little (so basically like new and bit rarer therefore more expensive).
Old 28-Feb-2006, 22:57
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
i had the paint job.... stunning, simply stunning mate...
Old 28-Feb-2006, 23:49
Mille
Bikes: 748R, ZXR 400

Mood: Glad to be back down south.
Bostrum - any day of the week and twice on sunday!!

Got that quote from somefilm, can't remember which though or who. Any ideas??

Old 01-Mar-2006, 14:06
Ducati Kip

Looking at the pictures Bostrom might be a bit 'over the top' sorry if anyone has one!

Think it's got to be a Bayliss, found two so far for sale one has done nearly 9k (too much) other at Coventry has no service history

Could always look for mint 748R again loved that or tatty/damaged 998 and do a Imola silver Bayliss paint job
Old 01-Mar-2006, 16:10
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
AS you can probably see I like Bostroms and have one I bought new and have done 14k trouble free miles on. Those who know me saw me come off it at Cadwell at a club day and it's had an off at the Nurburgring....point I'm making is that I thrash the nuts off it and it turns heads even more than a standard 9** which is quite some going. So I reckon it's a winner. I would make sure, as always, that whatever you're buying is in original condition without too many mods, it doesn't need them. I found a spare load of body work off ebay which has already been trashed once and the good news is that insurance companies seem to be able to be persuaded that it's a rare piece of kit and will therefore grant a much higher %age of damage before they write off which is, IMHO, a big plus.

To be blunt I'm not sure being a Bostrom adds a lot to resale value but bear in mind it is an S and is therefore very pokey.

I'm lucky enought to have a Senna 3 as well and have a real penchant for "special" original paintjobs. For me the Senna 3 is still the most beautiful.

ed
Old 01-Mar-2006, 18:33
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
I have a Bayliss Rep - 15,500 miles on the clock and going like a train!!!

Why is something with 9,000 miles on too much? I did 4,500 on mine in 12 weeks and it sings like a dream - the best Ducati I've owned for using in the real world as well as having more power, deep sump, Ohlins forks, factory paint job etc etc

Don't be put off by mileage - as long as it's got a service history you should go for it!!!

Giles

PS. Mine will do another 2,000 miles in 6 days in May when I ride to Monza for WSB - use it, it's what it was made for...
Old 01-Mar-2006, 19:25
Mille

The Bostrom is a thing of beauty. I have just bought my second. The first one I sold 18 months ago and bought an MV F4 1000 - big mistake, I then swapped the MV for a 999r Fila Rep but I still had hankerings for the Bostrom so I have just got another one

Only 26 Bostroms were brought into the UK and no doubt some of them have been written off by now so it is a rare bike making them desirable which keeps values high.

More Bayliss bikes were made, I think 400 so not as desirable and there are many Baylis copies out there (its just a case of adding a few stickers wheras the Bostrom has a blue frame and wheels which makes it harder and more expensive to replicate)

The Baylis looks a bit dated to me because its based on the 2002 WSB bike wheras the Bostrom isnt based on anything (apart from his helmet)

Theres a Bostrom for sale in Moto Rapido at the moment and there was a Baylis at Ducati Glasgow and another at Pro Twins

Roachman
Old 01-Mar-2006, 20:35
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
A good machine coz its a 998s with some tasty extra`s.