Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:03
500SD

tyres...........

i have had my 748s since sept last year
its done 4500 miles and still has the original tyres on
as i have got quicker i have felt less confident about my tyres and feel like the front is going to wash away when leaning right over

am looking to change tyres - they are squared off from the prvious owner (it had 2" UNUSED tyre BOTH sides!!)

what is everyone using? i only use this bike for fast blasts and will do 3000 per year max

i am using the same size supercorsa pros on my track bike - is it a good idea to try them on the road?

what about the dunlop pilots?
anyone trying bridgestones?
what about diablo corsas?

cheers
nick
Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:16
Big Twin

I have Diablo Corsas on my 749 and they're excellent.

Haven't tried supercorsa pro.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:19
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
I have a 748S, I use Diablo Corsas on mine. 4000 miles on a rear, more or less double that on the front.

So it sounds like yours are about ready for a change. If the front feels like that, then probably best to change both. Bit more money, but always feels so much better.

I used Bridgestones on my old R6, they seemed to be ok, but somehow the Pirellis feel a bit more stable. Mind you, that could be the bike!
Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:29
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
SuperCorsa Pros are race tyres and need careful warming up and the use of tyre warmers to get the best out of them. They aren't really for road use. Just get some plain vanilla Diablos as they are more than adequate for road use. Too many people waste good money on tyres that they can't use to full effect on the road - most of your time is spend upright on the road whether you care to admit it or not. I use venerable old D207's on the road and find them more than good enough.

Are you using a 120/60 or /70 front. The steering is dramatically improved on the 70 profile.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:36
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Has anyone tried the new twin compond Michelin tyres yet?
Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:41
Ducati Corse

Gizmo has. he likes them.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 13:27
500SD

not sure that i agree about the 'most tyres are good enough' old chestnut - rather depends on how hard and how often you ride? i am not saying i am blisteringly quick but as i am getting quicker and pushing the bike more i am finding the tyres that i have on currently do not give me the confidence i want as the level of grip and feedback is not there
if i am honest on the roads i ride my 748 - all dales riding - i spend very little time upright!
i do agree that i would not use the supercorsas level of grip on the road but as i use them on my track bike i have them available at no extra cost
i myself have doubts about the heat issue however - on a ractrack 150mph is a world apart from the road however you ride
i have plain diablos on my 600ss and find them predictable enough, quick to turn in and reasonably planted
so are the corsas the same but with more grip?
Old 14-Jul-2006, 13:50
Ducati Corse

I ride the same roads as you.

Whatever you say - you will spend more time upright than on your side. I ride my Sprint RS up and down the Alston road and happily get me knee down on D207's which, are deeply unfashionable (but cheap). Nothing comes past. You do not need race tyre or supersoft track tyre grip no matter what you think because the limiting factor is you, your forward vision, other traffic hazards and dodgy roads surfaces with gravel/stones/horse **** etc.

SuperCorsa Pros will not work properly unless you get them hot - I know this well cos I race on them.

Plain old Diablos (despite me not liking them) are more than enough - if you wanna burn rubber and cash unecessarily feel free to do so. I don't care. you're the one asking for the advice
Old 14-Jul-2006, 14:06
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Think Gizmo runs the 2CT's and he's quite happy, I'm running power race which I guess are more track focused but do work on the road and surprisingly in the wet too... not that I do much wet weather riding
Old 14-Jul-2006, 14:07
500SD

twpd - i welcome advice but also have an opinion - as clearly do you and which i welcome
the roads we will have to disagree
i live on the edge of the dales and only ride my 748 in the dales avoiding most of the 'normal' routes
the scpros i totally agree - see my post above - hence why i have not just lobbed them on already
i dont doubt i am a limiting factor - hence why i am doing trackdays to get my skills up - guess that must be true for most riders out there
i do doubt that i will not get more security and grip from different tyres
hence my question re what people are using and how they find them
some tyres suit some bikes - some dont
so back to question - which and why?