Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Dec-2006, 13:03
Big Twin

New SS owner

Following my short and fairly unhappy spell in the world of ST ownership, I'm now the proud-ish owner of a W reg 900SS.

This is not a totally new experience for me, cos I had a 750SS a while back (my first Duke), which I put 30-odd thousand miles on. So I'm used to riding position, the **** lights , etc etc. And I have ridden a 900SS a times before (thanks to the late lamented Merlin Ducati).

I think I've got a very good buy for the money I paid. It's only done 7000 niles and still has that "new bike" tightness to it.
First steps will be a precautionary belt change (done only 2000 miles ago, but I'm thinking about the time factor), doing something about the ridiculously high stock gearing (14t sprocket on the front? What gearing do you guys run?), and backing off the plank-like suspension damping (at the mo, it makes my old 748 seem like an armchair).

Any other tips or advice?
Old 04-Dec-2006, 13:28
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Well done Fred. Another Ducati....

Seriously hope this one is more to your liking than the ST2.
Old 04-Dec-2006, 13:35
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto748
......doing something about the ridiculously high stock gearing (14t sprocket on the front? What gearing do you guys run?), and backing off the plank-like suspension damping (at the mo, it makes my old 748 seem like an armchair).

Any other tips or advice?

Don't bother with a 14-t front. Just put a 41 or 43T on the rear. It's easier on the chain. I got mine from B&C Express.

Usual advice applies...noisy pipe, cutaway airbox, K&N filter, Power Commander III usb
Old 04-Dec-2006, 18:51
Big Twin

Cheers, Nige.
I was just a bit concerned that going up too much on the back might leave me with a chain that was too short, and the need to buy another one.

As with the 748, it's my view that it's plenty loud enough as stock! maybe louder than the 748, in fact.

Ozz> It is.

But I've learnt my lesson and I'm quite contrite now: I'm only going to say nice things about the ST2 if I want someone to buy it...
Old 04-Dec-2006, 19:25
Cucciolo
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse

Mood: Waiting for the revolution!
Quote:
Ozz> It is.

But I've learnt my lesson and I'm quite contrite now: I'm only going to say nice things about the ST2 if I want someone to buy it...

Glad to hear it!
Old 04-Dec-2006, 20:46
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Cheers, Nige.
I was just a bit concerned that going up too much on the back might leave me with a chain that was too short, and the need to buy another one.

I put a 41t rear on my 800ss which is essentially the same bike with the same chassis so, unless you're a bit unlucky you should be able to manage that. It made a good improvement without unduly affecting the top end or cruising speed. It still tops 140mph with that sprocket on whilst having very useful 60-120mph stomp.
Old 05-Dec-2006, 12:28
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I put a 14T sprocket on mine and it was far better than standard. A larger rear is better for the chain but you may find that the standard chain (assuming you're not putting a new one on) is not long enough. As for the hard rear, it's the spring rate that is the problem rather than the damping, I put a Maxton spring on - they match it to your weight and how you want to ride, it really improved the ride.
Old 05-Dec-2006, 12:50
Big Twin

Well a 14t front is good enough for a 748, so I'm not too concerned. Actually I nipped in and bought a 14t (along with an oil filter) on the way home last night. I figured it's easier to change. I'll give that a go when I have some spare time.

Spring change could be a long-term option. I managed with the stock spring on the 748 OK, though. I wouldn't have thought the spring rate on the SS would be any stiffer.
Old 05-Dec-2006, 13:26
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I think a problem the SS has is that the suspension is not rising rate so it's stiff all through the movement whereas the 748 (and ST) are less firm at the start of the travel.

Excellent road bike though
Old 05-Dec-2006, 13:57
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think a problem the SS has is that the suspension is not rising rate so it's stiff all through the movement whereas the 748 (and ST) are less firm at the start of the travel.

Excellent road bike though

I doubt there is much in it a cantilever setup as per the SS has a small amount of rising rate built in as the lower shock mount moves through a arc and most modern systems using a rocker are closer to linear than they use to be

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook