Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Apr-2009, 22:19
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Maybe I shoud have bid a bit higher than I did

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Just over £1700 for a 2003 Monster 620 isn't bad and shows just how cheap it can now be to get into class A

Is it time to start considering Stock spec 620s to replace class B as people start to complain about the unavailability of Pistons and other parts getting more costly to source.

By stock I mean standard ECUs with just a Power commander fitted, Fork rule as in current class B, possibly a Max BHP figure down a couple on Class A and weight up by several kilos

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 12-Apr-2009, 23:05
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
So far we've got 23 class B racers and an impressive 8 class A racers (the most accessible DD top 10 ever... )

Is it time to start considering dropping class A?

Just kidding, but I would first look at the availability of racers before pistons...
Old 13-Apr-2009, 00:31
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600
So far we've got 23 class B racers and an impressive 8 class A racers (the most accessible DD top 10 ever... )

Is it time to start considering dropping class A?

Just kidding, but I would first look at the availability of racers before pistons...

According to my records there are 22 signed up for Class A and 37 for Class B

The issue isn't riders just the machines, although the current economic climate will certainly favour class B as the choice of class for those starting racing with the cheapest 620 race bikes costing £2k to £2.5k and a better spec'd one can cost a fair bit more

Two Class B entrants have already complained about the availability of Pistons as they are now only available with the Barrells as somewhere close to £700 a pair/set.

As far as i'm concerned there are still quite a few good used engines out there and my solution to a worn pistons and rings situation would be to go and buy another 583 engine for £200 to £300 or a whole running bike for £700 to £900.

So I don't fully understand why the compalints and the questions about being able to use Weisco or FBF pistons, which will set people back about £300 to £400 a pair and as they are Hi-comp the rules would have to be changed and as those with them would have an advanage the next thing you know everybody in class B will have them.

Now if there are already a couple of moans this early in the season whats going to happen next winter when a few more are looking at engine rebuilds or buying bikes/engines anywhere between 9 and 16 years old
For the first season of DD 583cc bikes were between 4 and 11 years old, with the 620s 3 years old at most
Come 2010 the 620s will be up to 8 years old making them comparable with a 583 when DD first started.

If the main issue is replacement pistons is there a company out there that will make duplicates of the original flat topped 583 piston someone like Hepolite maybe.

I think the life expectancy of the 583s is something to be concerned about and various options looked at sooner rather than later, I already know of quite few engine rebulds that have cost £1000 or more and not always including new pistons, one in particular that I know of if it had been fitted with new barrells and Pistons would have cost the same to rebuild the engine as buying that 8000 mile 620 Monster.

Old 13-Apr-2009, 09:13
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Whilst undertaking a project for an older Ducati I have turned up a company in this country that can make pistons for us to original pattern and weight.

So yes we can get the flat top 583 pistons made, but are probably looking at 25 pairs to make it viable.

Chris
Old 13-Apr-2009, 09:20
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Skids, my records are nothing more than what is already public knowledge:
http://www.desmodue.co.uk/?season_id=8

I do hope more class A racers will turn up for the next round.

It is just that I do not wish to have to part with my 583 racer, but would rather keep racing it even when it becomes the modern classic that the Pantha became.

Last edited by Tonio600 : 13-Apr-2009 at 12:37.
Old 13-Apr-2009, 10:20
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
This could cause real problems for those who currently own Class B machines - if the rules are changed to phase in 620 over 583 (and what happens to Class A - does it go to 695/696?) - then those bikes will become worthless almost overnight. Nobody will want to invest into them for racing, most won't/can't be turned back into road machines or it would be uneconomical to do so.
On the other hand, I understand that once spares start to get limited then it might push to cost of sourcing those parts up to beyond reasonable prices.
So are we stuck in a downward spiral?

Maybe the club, as owners and overseers of the series, could step in? Chris suggests that we may be able to get a large number of stock-spec pistons made up, so could/should the club spend some of it's funds to get some made and then sell them (at cost/minimal profit) to DD racers? It may be a big outlay but it may secure the future of the series for another few years as yet?
It's great to see so many new faces coming into DD this year - there are hardly any names I know in there! - so it proves that it's a fantastic way to get people racing on the cheap on a relatively level playing field.
Do we want this to continue?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 13-Apr-2009, 11:12
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600
Skids, my records are nothing more than what is alread public knowledge:
http://www.desmodue.co.uk/?season_id=8

I do hope more class A racers will turn up for the next round

Not much chance of that It's a long haul for a lot off people & as long as we have the option to drop races I'm afraid places like Anglesey & Pembray will suffer IMO.
Old 13-Apr-2009, 12:41
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
Whilst undertaking a project for an older Ducati I have turned up a company in this country that can make pistons for us to original pattern and weight.

So yes we can get the flat top 583 pistons made, but are probably looking at 25 pairs to make it viable.

Chris

Chris any Idea what that would work out cost wise, for a couple of months now I have looked into what is already on the market and all I have come across is Hi-Comp pistons and with the current exchange rates most of them are working out quite costly.

Old 13-Apr-2009, 17:56
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Chris any Idea what that would work out cost wise, for a couple of months now I have looked into what is already on the market and all I have come across is Hi-Comp pistons and with the current exchange rates most of them are working out quite costly.

I Have one Almost complete motor on here for peanuts, With Decent pistons in it for the price of a pair of new pistons, The fact that it is still for sale Kinda Gives an indication that the parts in question are Not actually in demand that much.
The other 2 guys who said that they couldnt get them, are also sorted from my spares box, They just didnt ask around.
Old 13-Apr-2009, 23:06
500SD

JE Pistons will manufacture a piston to the Spec we require.
Might be worth a look .....