Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 23-Jan-2006, 13:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Removing 620 Clocks

I know there was a discussion about this somewhere but can't find it.
We've been working on this and although disabling the anti theft might be possible, there's another problem.
The air pressure sensor for the Fi system is built into the clock assembly. It also sends it's signal down the CAN bus to the ECU.
This is potentially a more difficult problem to overcome but bear in mind that if you do disable the anti theft and lose the clocks, the ECU will probably assume a "get ya home" figure for the pressure and this will affect performance, assuming it works at all.......................
Old 23-Jan-2006, 14:04
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Just search for "panel" on my name and you will find it.

I was one of the contributors as I want to race an 800ss in MRO Minitwins.

Nelly - is there actually a functional spec or something for this system, as what you mention is new to me (no-one I have spoken to has mentioned it) and I wonder how much other functionality is included. The FIM ecu has a race mode which, apparently allows you to do away with the instrument panel. Presumably then it must have some internal function that re-routes data/signals accordingly.

When you mention the sensor I guess you mean the signal conditioning circuitry as the sensor itself must be placed somewhere in the induction system, surely?

[Edited on 23-1-2006 by twpd]

[Edited on 23-1-2006 by twpd]
Old 23-Jan-2006, 14:21
Ducati Corse

The air pressure sensor is definately in the clock housing. The manuals I have that use the 5.9 ECU, 620, 999, MS all say in the descriptions that it's housed in the dash.
Looking through the Fi sections, the sensor shows up nowhere other than being mentioned as part of the dash assembly??
I'm not that far into the research but this looks like a problem. I don't know what the FIM unit does, if anything, to get around it?
Old 23-Jan-2006, 14:28
Ducati Corse

Just had a quick look at the FIM site. It mentions the race mode, and while this does away with the stand, the key etc. it doesn't actually say you can lose the clocks???
Maybe i'm too cynical....................
Old 23-Jan-2006, 14:30
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
I remember reading/hearing somewhere that the FIM chip uses the immobiliser light on the dash as a gearchange indicator. I guess that would imply that you probably can't do away with the clocks ?????
Old 23-Jan-2006, 14:34
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
On my 620ie Monster the air pressure sensor is mounted just below the clocks and connects into the main loom below the clocks connector, and I did have everything running without the clocks........

Everything is in bits though now so I can't check anything out......

I'm planning to junk all the std gear and use the FIM ECU on mine 620SS, if the budget will cope!
Old 23-Jan-2006, 14:39
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
dont really want to get involved as its all above my head. but whats the big deal about losing the clock anyway? weight saving, damage limitation? sorry for being dumb.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 15:00
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
As Paul (Paynep) says the the air pressure sensor is fitted below the clocks and combined with the air temp sensor, it is fitted with a 4 pin connector and looks very similar to the one fitted to my 998 Hybrid.
when i get time i'm still working on trying to get my 620 to run but it looks like the solution may have to be a FIM ECU
Old 23-Jan-2006, 16:29
Ducati Corse

mmmmm ........... interesting. The 620 I had in for reference had the older type air temp sensor, like the 748/996 fitted????? 2 wire connector.
Just checked on another bike in here and that's got the newer/different sensor fitted.

I hate electrics
Old 23-Jan-2006, 16:37
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
dem damn clocks have had at least 2 different clocks for 'ie' monster fings.
Each of the 2 sets on my 750 were slightly different (had a 2nd set as 1st ones foged badly(according to AK, what do I know tho!) and the thou ones are also different - tho the same as tango!
Confusing..............

C