Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Oct-2006, 18:38
500SD

Anyone ever use Bridgestone BT54/BT010?

I know these tyres are a bit old hat now, but they're the only matched pair I can find in the sizes I need for my H*nda. (18" rear wheel).

Anyway, I fitted a BT010 front & a BT54R on the back some months ago, and after having covered approx. 2000 mls since then, I can still barely see any wear on them! So, just how hard are they? I've had no 'moments' with them as yet, but how much grip can I ultimately expect? I've got visions of them just letting go if I push too hard.

Anyone ever use them in the dim and distant past? What's the verdict?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-Oct-2006, 19:45
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
I had some BT 010 on track on a very wet day at Mallory a few years back,I found you could do almost any thing with them especialy in the wet ,they are a fairly soft compound but will give you good mileage on the front 4/5000 miles depending how hard you ride.I think you will find some warning before they break loose on you. Ive now gone across to Pirreli with the standard Diablo's 4D
Old 02-Oct-2006, 01:00
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
IMHO the 010 is a good tyre, had them on few bikes and pleased with them.

The 54 is an old sports touring tyre, worked very well on the road but went on the track once and not great after a few laps and i'm not mad either. You'll get lots of mielage out of it.

Guess its for your RC30, only solution is different wheels and a rid eheight adjuster if you want stickier tyres.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 01:58
Big Twin

I always liked the 010 had them on a number of bikes myself ranging from early R1s to my old 996S. Never had a problem with them in anyway. Never had the 54 s on anything but I remember the 56 and 56ss fondly.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 09:44
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
I've used 010's on my old R1,nice neutral handling with plenty of grip,Francis Williamson(ex BSB)did a suspension clinic for the DSC a couple of years ago and having ridden several 748's on the day said that the 010 clad ones handled better in his opinion.
Old 02-Oct-2006, 13:42
500SD

Thanks for the info. guys

It's the rear mainly which concerns me. It's not wearing half as quick as I'm used to seeing them wear. I'm not a hard rider, but lately I have been pushing a little more on the curves - so it'd be good to know it's not going to let go suddenly. ('Chicken strips' are still an inch wide, mind you!)

Steve
Old 03-Oct-2006, 10:59
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeveetwin
('Chicken strips' are still an inch wide, mind you!)

Steve

Try 1200 grade wet and dry....