Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Feb-2009, 17:55
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Brakes....pads and disks

spoke to the mecahnic at snells because one of my brake disks needs replacement. I looked at a pair on fleebay. 249GBP thank-you. he mentioned Brembo full floating race discs (much cheaper)and bendix brake pads.
Anyone tried them, good?
Looked at demon tweeks for a pair of discs. Anyone know which option of the 12 or so options to choose (996R) instead of having to muck about measuring the whole thing.
Old 15-Feb-2009, 21:24
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
brake and pads

Depends what forks you have regarding the discs, if there Ohlins i think there a 12 mm offset not %100 sure tho.

Bendix pads are ace got ehm in my trackbikes P4 calipers and are awesome. Try PDQ for them.
Old 15-Feb-2009, 23:07
Big Twin

To be honest, you are probably better buying new discs rather than from Ebay. You generally get some warped ones on there.

I was looking at the Clubman option on Demon Tweek. Seem pretty good. Bit thicker but compatible with road calipers, fully floatting, etc. You get some new ones like that on Ebay as well.

Pads - Bendix are OK. MCR (carbon matrix) for track but don't use on the road, they don't work at low temp. MRR are the ones for road.
Performance Friction are also pretty good (used by top racers), twice the price though.
Brembo do some amazing pads as well with the Z04 but I believe that this fits only the race calipers. Twice the price again...

p
Old 16-Feb-2009, 11:53
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
The discs I looked at on fleebay were new. However at 249 I thought they were expensive anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

I
Old 16-Feb-2009, 12:25
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Ducati discs usually come in two different offsets
10mm for 748/916/996/Monster/Supersport
15mm for 748R/996R/998R/749/999 although the 749 & 999 are 5-bolt fixing

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/my...ion=4%7CBrakes

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Feb-2009, 12:35
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilo006
....he mentioned Brembo full floating race discs (much cheaper)and bendix brake pads.
Anyone tried them, good?

I have Brembo Trackday Discs + P4 calipers + Bendix Pads (dunno what compound, not race ones).

Good enough for me for road + a few trackdays.
Old 16-Feb-2009, 13:48
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Brembo Trackday discs
https://sslhelm.net/phillipmccallen-...?idproduct=933

Braking Waveys have worked well for me, both on the road and when racing

What should be a relatively easy way to check which offset you have is to look at where the caliper bolts on to the bottom of your Ohlins fork, if it looks as if its been machined with a 5mm step its the 15mm offset discs you require, if the caliper mount is pretty much flush with the rest of the casting its the lesser 10mm offset disc required

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Feb-2009, 20:12
Big Twin

I am looking at those ones:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BREMBO-320mm-C...1%7C240%3A1318

It is a little expensive but you really get what you pay for. I have seen many Snowflakes brembo discs warping. I have recently bought some bargain brembo discs on ebay as well and it feels like one of them has a very slight warp. Most Brembo standard discs (non floatting) reach about £100 on Ebay, £150 / £200 for the cast iron (but you don't want that for everyday as they are rusting too easy). So £350 for the assurance to have a clean new set is worth it IMO. That's the next ones I will get for the ST.

I have a few sets of race discs (the style they use in BSB) on the track bikes and have not seen warping issues on those. Though some of those have centres that fit road wheels (the wide track one won't though), the rotors will only work with race calipers. On road 2 pad calipers, you need to trim the pads to make them work as they hit the bobbins otherwise. On 4 pad calipers pads fit fine, but the retaining bits under the pads hit the bobbins. You need to grind them a little to make this set up work and watch closely the wear on the pads so they don't fall off as a result.
Not sure how all this work with the radial calipers, have not tried those.