Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Sep-2009, 19:52
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
But what is the standard specification?
Is it a fixed number, or is there a +/- that you can work between?
Old 16-Sep-2009, 22:17
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBs996
But what is the standard specification?
Is it a fixed number, or is there a +/- that you can work between?

.The variance/tolerance of electronic ignition is normally quoted as plus or minus revs at a fixed number of degrees of adavnce.

On a 900 (haven't got my 600 manual to hand)
@1700 revs + or - 200rpm the advance is 6 degrees
from 1700 to 2600 rpm + or - 300rpm the ignition timing advances progressively to 32 degrees and can be checked with a strobe against the timing marks on the flywheel

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Sep-2009, 22:36
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
.The variance/tolerance of electronic ignition is normally quoted as plus or minus revs at a fixed number of degrees of adavnce.

On a 900 (haven't got my 600 manual to hand)
@1700 revs + or - 200rpm the advance is 6 degrees
from 1700 to 2600 rpm + or - 300rpm the ignition timing advances progressively to 32 degrees and can be checked with a strobe against the timing marks on the flywheel

So whats all the fuss, if anything is strobed and reads in the region of 32/34 degrees of advance. thats ok.

Going over that you need some good fuel to prevent detonation.
Look at the bikes no one is streets ahead so lets just get real.

We have had the humped pistons and big valve heads. We need something really radical now in the same guise as a normal motor.
Old 16-Sep-2009, 23:00
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
So whats all the fuss, if anything is strobed and reads in the region of 32/34 degrees of advance. thats ok.

Going over that you need some good fuel to prevent detonation.
Look at the bikes no one is streets ahead so lets just get real.

We have had the humped pistons and big valve heads. We need something really radical now in the same guise as a normal motor.

Phil
Whats the get real comment about
Other DD competitors have asked about the use of such things and the rules about standard timing are set out in black and white.

I have tried to answer some of the questions asked

I have known for sometime riders are using them but they do so at the risk of somebody protesting them.

I was told at the start of the season we would be having a dyno at one round and I still live in hope that we will and if such units did give an advantage hopefully the dyno operator would pick up on it.

Next year the rules may include wording such as the use of AL-9000 igniters are not allowed, that would make it less of a gray area.

But are you honestly telling me all the people that have invested in these units are not doing so in the hope to gain an advantage no matter how small, otherwise why do they bother as there have been plenty of standard units for sale on Ebay over throughout this year

Having never tried them on either a standard engine or a tuned up one I have no personal knowledge of what they offer and am very sceptical of them doing anything worthwhile for a standard engine, but as its a topic that other brought up I may do some asking around in case a protest is lodged

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 16-Sep-2009, 23:13
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Phil
Whats the get real comment about
Other DD competitors have asked about the use of such things and the rules about standard timing are set out in black and white.

I have tried to answer some of the questions asked

I have known for sometime riders are using them but they do so at the risk of somebody protesting them.

I was told at the start of the season we would be having a dyno at one round and I still live in hope that we will and if such units did give an advantage hopefully the dyno operator would pick up on it.

Next year the rules may include wording such as the use of AL-9000 igniters are not allowed, that would make it less of a gray area.

But are you honestly telling me all the people that have invested in these units are not doing so in the hope to gain an advantage no matter how small, otherwise why do they bother as there have been plenty of standard units for sale on Ebay over throughout this year

Having never tried them on either a standard engine or a tuned up one I have no personal knowledge of what they offer and am very sceptical of them doing anything worthwhile for a standard engine, but as its a topic that other brought up I may do some asking around in case a protest is lodged

Sorry Kev I didn't mean to seem antagonistic. I borrowed at snett last year a pair of AL 9000 which only proved that my standard units were useless. I then bought a pair of used units from Karl Harrison near snett. I could race at last.

I don't believe AL9k offer anything but durability/reliabilty over std. They don't make the engine knock so I think they are in the advance curve of acceptibility.

I wouldn't ever buy secondhand off the bay for these units as they are sealed and can fail; so you don't know what you are getting.

Set an advance curve in the regs for next year, but you must have a tolerance to cater for checking equipment.

My bike on last dyno before latest exhaust was 46RWBHP, FFS. Will that Zorst bring it to 53? I don't think so.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 11:42
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
We never used these on our championship winning class B bike and our bike was pulling around 52 RWHP after we fitted the Micron exhaust system. It had a dynojet 2 jet fitted and K&N Filter together with the super-smooth exhaust system, thats it. It was quite a loose motor too!

Built totally in the spirit of Class B, we brought a road bike of Skids, removed the lights, fitted a fairing and better suspension / brakes and tweeked the motor as above. Then thrashed the wheels off it

Andy