Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jul-2006, 23:13

Mood: I want a garage
Split Header Tank in Hot Weather

Early 996 (1999): Just a note to watch it a bit in the very hot weather. With coolant getting near to or above boiling point and revs high, then it is possible to generate enough pressure in the system to split open the plastic header tank. I had read that this can happen and it happened to me yesterday, near home fortunately, when I cranked open the throttle. Coolant seen leaking all over the road.
The header tank is the plastic container that holds coolant and is just under the ignition switch. Basically the tank split and I am having to get a new one. Quite easy to remove and fit a new one, so not so bad provided you are not stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Anyhow, best go easy in the very hot weather if in doubt.

Mark
Old 19-Jul-2006, 00:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Fairly common fault on bikes a few years old. Complex moulding that suffers from repeated heat cycles on the seam.

Its happened on my SPS before and recently on my current bike.

Don't worry, its possible to do 500 miles like that, as it cools and contracts it seems to seal again, just keep an eye on the coolant level. Got back from France with it only leaking 3 times when very hot and didn't actually need to top it up either but worrying when it first happens.
Old 19-Jul-2006, 07:22
Montjuic

Mood: Saving
Changed mine about a couple of weeks ago , it cost about £19 or a new one and very simple to change.
Old 19-Jul-2006, 07:54
Bevel Head

Mood: Impatiently awaiting parts!
Hmm...

This seems to have happened to quite a few sbk owners. Does it really help to buy a new one in order to prevent/pre-empt a leakage?

Isn't this an inherent flaw based on bad design or choice of inappropriate materials?

It's a bit odd no one has started producing after market substitutes that are more reliable than the OEM version...
Old 19-Jul-2006, 14:51

Mood: I want a garage
Thanks for the replies. I agree, a more robust design would be good as it does seem quite a common problem. Awaiting new tank through the post...
Old 23-Jul-2006, 10:49
Mille

Mood: poon tang
its worth puting a switch on the top off the headstock so you can switch the fan on in hot weather.run the bike a bit cooler. just run a positive from the battery,one from the positive off the fan up to the switch,this wont stop the fan relay working.
Old 23-Jul-2006, 11:23
Dibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarexpress
Hmm...

This seems to have happened to quite a few sbk owners. Does it really help to buy a new one in order to prevent/pre-empt a leakage?

Isn't this an inherent flaw based on bad design or choice of inappropriate materials?

It's a bit odd no one has started producing after market substitutes that are more reliable than the OEM version...

you'll find the majority of failures are bikes with above average mileages that spend more time being ridden than polished, mine faile at about 24000 which isn't bad considering the punishment it gets and its awkward shape ....

these bikes ae race bikes with lights, they are not Fireblades and never will be .....
Old 23-Jul-2006, 12:51
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Mine started to leak yesterday. Just as well i had bought a spare of Flea-bay just in case. All sorted now. Only cost 0.99p plus postage. About a fiver in total. May well buy another as it will go at some time.