Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Apr-2004, 22:07

Mood: Variable
Another Dead Bip

Okay, here's the story.
Reassembling my recently acquired 98 748 Bip after getting frame coated & bits 'n' bobs done. Got to the point of starting it last week & it fired up fine. Checked all the levels OK. Ran it up until hot enough to energise the fan. Discovered petrol leak from pump plate o-ring. Fitted new one along with fuel filter. No more leaks. Fired it up again (repeatedly as you do) & ran tank dry & bike died. Put gallon of fuel in today. Fired up fine but refused to answer throttle, died & wouldn't restart. Felt like fuel starvation. Engine turns over. Fuel injection whizzes. Spark at front plug.
Am puzzled. Have I :-
1. Reassembled pump assembly wrong or filter wrong way round (don't think so).
2.Fouled plugs running long time at tickover.
3. Let battery voltage run down until things don't work happily.
4. Front plug looks suspiciously dry.
Have put it on Optimate & opened red wine.
Help anyone.

Robbie
Old 15-Apr-2004, 00:13
DSC Club Member
500SD

Could be the fuel filter, running it dry could have picked up all the crap at the bottom of the tank.
Old 15-Apr-2004, 21:54

Mood: Variable
Thanks for the suggestions. It had to be fuel supply. Close inspection today in better light showed one of the fuel pipes to be not fully home by about 1.5mm. Rerouted the tank wiring, clicked pipe in, hit button. Lift-off !
Having clutch probs tho'. New clutch basket & plates. Assembled as Haynes manual gives too much lift & top plate pops out of the slots in the basket. Only way I can get it to sit in is by leaving out one of the 2 internally splined plates you insert first. Will I do any harm by running the bike this way ?

Robbie