Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Mar-2006, 08:47
Mille

Mood: Bits fitted service done, Nice
Imported Bikes has anybody had one

I have seen a bike I’m quite interested in but it’s an import.

Has anybody owned and sold an imported bike, I like to know what problems, if any, there are associated with selling them and peoples general perceptions about the whole import thing.

I’ve spoken to insurance companies and they do not seem to differentiate as long as they are informed and the headlight has been replaced.

The ‘kmh’ clock may be a bit of an annoyance, I know stick on ‘mph’ dials are available but can you see them when riding at night when the clocks are illuminated.

I’m not sure whether it’s just my perception of imports, but it always seems to be followed by a sharp intake of breath, a bit like asking a plumber for a quote. (No offence to any plumbers out there).

[Edited on 3-3-2006 by TonyH]
Old 03-Mar-2006, 12:25
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
More of a problem with superbikes than an ss, as some countries,notably France, impose power restrictions (100bhp off the top of my head,though could be wrong).
If its the right price then I see no reason not to get it.
Some main dealerships didnt want to offer any factory warranty cover to new imports,meaning any warranty offered is the dealers alone.
Check the v5,it'll say 'previously registered overseas' or ' imported by independant part' or similar.
Just do all the usual checks and remember dealers tend to give one opinion of imports when they are selling and a totally different one when buying.
Old 03-Mar-2006, 12:34
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
If it's a EU import then the warranty is the same as any UK bike. Ducati have to honour warranty within the usual limitations.

The only downside I can see is that dealers use it as an excuse to knock you down on trade-in values.
Old 03-Mar-2006, 14:05
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
It wouldn't really bother me having an import as long as it is a good bike and as said above, it doesn't have any restrictions etc - not likely with an SS. Both my Darmah and TL600 Ducati's were imports from Italy (if you see what I mean!)

They all come from the same factory.

Go get it Tony - join the 2 valve club
Old 03-Mar-2006, 14:48
500SD
Bikes: 900 Monster, 750 SS Cafe Racer

I got my 1999 Monster from Germany, and i have had no real problems, with warranty etc, when i had it!

As for the km speedo, mine has always passed its MOT with it fitted and no stickers. I can just remember the relevant speeds!

As for selling it on, im just not going to, unless someone offered me a daft amount!

Yorkie.
Old 03-Mar-2006, 17:09
Montjuic

I've got an italian import - no worries at all really. I Put gaffa tape over the relevant part of the headlight at mot time (one day I'll get round to changing the headlight) and the speedo light is so dim at night that you can't your speed anyway! No problems from the insurance man either.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 01:47
Montjuic

Mood: :)
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyH
Has anybody owned and sold an imported bike,...

The ‘kmh’ clock may be a bit of an annoyance, I know stick on ‘mph’ dials are available but can you see them when riding at night when the clocks are illuminated.

Hi Tony,

I own a 2002 imported 750Sport. I wasn't too fussed about its 'import' status for many of the reasons given above: warranty is valid in the UK, I'd heard MOT's wouldn't be an issue, etc.

Also, I've got the mph stickers on my speedo, but only at the 30 , 50 and 70 mph marks, and they're clear enough in the dark. Besides it's not that hard to remember the km equivalents of those 3 speeds anyway
Old 04-Mar-2006, 11:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
I've had a '94 750SS, a '94 916 and currently have a 620 monster all imports, one small dealer imported, one via large dealer imported.
Note that dealers will happily import too if they think there's a good deal in it !
No problems except at haggling time, when everybody will grasp at any straw
Old 04-Mar-2006, 12:22
Mille

Mood: Bits fitted service done, Nice
Thanks for all the info Guys. look like its not to big a problem just got to get them for the right price
Old 04-Mar-2006, 12:31
Big Twin

Mood: r
my first 996 was a import, i found out that if i took it to a ducati dealer at a cost of £300 they would do a hdi on it & ducati would place a live 2 year warrenty. the imports have 12 months on them. i found out the above via a phone call to ducati uk.