Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Aug-2006, 09:45
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Cheers guys, weather looks good for today, so will see how it goes, doing pm session.

Chris

Latest weather update has turned to cr*p.

Chris
Old 31-Aug-2006, 21:07
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Well, where to start, Hmmm, weather was ok when we got to Donnington at midday, signed on etc, used there leathers & boots, but did not like the Suomy helmet so out to the car & got mine.

Did the briefing etc, got paired up with a lad who had never done a track day, so the instructer(Nigel, no not boswell although he was instructing) said he would see how the first session went. Out on track, I was behind the instructor & the other pupil was behind me, the instructor had to keep slowing down to allow him to catch up, mind you we had to keep pulling over to allow the Elite class lads to thrash past as well, the instructors had a hard job on there hands, a, watching us in his mirrors plus watching out for faster groups & to get us to pull over for them. after the first session it was a dynamics session in the garage, all about hanging off the bike, position etc, picked up a couple of tips about angles etc.

Next track session I was with Nigel the instructor but with a different pupil to the first one, out we went, instuctor, new pupil then me, not much faster than the first session really, felt a tad frustrated as we were not going fast enough to turn & flow etc, as we went into the Melbourne loop for the 3rd time, we went in slower for some reason , the instructor sounded his horn & gesticulated to 3 instructors sat on their bikes just off the track at the Melbourne Loop, we then went slowley up to Goddards & slowly down towards Redgate, then an instructor cames past pointing at me & tapping his seat unit for me to follow him.

So off we go hairing off into Redgate, through Holywood, down Craners etc twice as fast as before, big smile was loving it, through Shwanz, turned into Mcleans hit the apex & the bike just shot out from under me, damn i was more than supprised, totaly gobsmacked!!!,( was not off the throttle, infact was just turning the throttle from part to on) kept on me back (thankgod I was in there leathers) ended up well into the gravel trap, Honda 600rr no seat unit, screen & a mashed fairing, boll*cks, there goes my day, back in the van, quick check in the med centre, just a graze on my forearm just infront of the elbow, point of first impact I guess, then a debrief, I believed that the front had let go as I did not feel the back give way, when I checked the tyre after I got to my feet, the front was only warm & the back no hotter than after a trip on the road, strange(Bridgstones, not sure what type), after clerk of the course had checked the CCTV tape, he reckoned the back went first then the front almost as soon as the back went, commented that maybe I was not hanging far enough off the bike??, but as only he is allowed to view the tape, have to take onboard what he said.

Anyway, more gutted for Cathy & the girls( who went with me) as it was Cathy`s present to me for my 50th birtday, sorry love.

Chris.
Old 31-Aug-2006, 21:42
Ducati Corse

At least it wasn't Pauls bike again!!.real shame mate.I'm sorry for Cath too.
Old 31-Aug-2006, 21:46
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
At least it wasn't Pauls bike again!!.real shame mate.I'm sorry for Cath too.

Thanks Jasper,
Cathy says " Arhhh, bless you"

Chris
Old 31-Aug-2006, 22:28
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Feel Gutted for you bro, i know you were looking forward to it. I appriciated your advice on my riding at cadwell, but did not think you would take my advice on how easy it was to bin it main thing is you walked away with just a scatch and nothing worse, well it could have been worse, it could have been my bike

Tell Cath next time she wants to throw money away she can throw it at me (Joke)

As I give thought to the matter, I find four causes for the apparent misery of old age: first, it withdraws us from active accomplishments; second, it renders the body less powerful; third, it deprives us of almost all forms of enjoyment; fourth, it stands not far from death.
Old 01-Sep-2006, 16:43
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
Woops! Oh well, at least it wasn't your bike and kit that got thrown up the track! Not an ideal end to a good B'day pressie tho.
Old 01-Sep-2006, 17:17
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
So the instructor wanted you to do a fast lap with him on cold tyres. i would have been stomping mad after a fall with no real heat in the tyres.