Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Dec-2005, 21:17
500SD

You passed me sooo fast I didn't know it had happened..I'm just honoured to have shared the tarmac with you,Andy,Vale and Sete.....My heroes...
Old 26-Dec-2005, 21:37
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by berto
You passed me sooo fast I didn't know it had happened..I'm just honoured to have shared the tarmac with you,Andy,Vale and Sete.....My heroes...

If the riding is anything like that welding.......we must all be 4yr olds!
Old 26-Dec-2005, 21:55
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Think he rides like he welds.......

With his eyes closed
Old 12-Jan-2006, 15:50
Ducati Dealer
Mille
Bikes: 1098R Track Bike

Mood: Dealer of the Year 2008
Sorry it's taken so long to reply, been away for a couple of weeks and just not touched a 'pooter!!

Quote:
Who took your pictures Martin? It certainly wasnt that claydon photography (with 100%) that i paid 40 euros to for nothing!

The excellent Picman! (see picman.co.uk) I've had loads done by this chap and his work is always amazing! He was also the guy that was at Cadwell for the track attack in July!

Quote:
Still no mention of a laptime from you I see ... scared I'll beat it?

Terrified mate!

Wish I could say i've done a 1.55 but I aint
Best i've done is in the 58's on the 749. Wish I had the ponnies to get the drive down the straights, that should be worth a couple of seconds a lap, maybe I'll get the R tuned! Been really thinking about that for a while!

Old 05-Feb-2006, 18:31
Mille

At Cartagena my 996 ate slicks in about a day and a half but got 2 and a half days out of Supercorsas - about a second a lap faster on the slicks than my best on Supercorsas. (Still 10 seconds slower than the pros on stock GSXR750s )
I was using SC1 front SC2 rear in both types of tyre
Old 09-Feb-2006, 17:31
500SD

Martin, was you at the dsc day at cadwell last summer??
Just wondering if it was you who i was chasing for a couple of laps before you ran wide at the bottom of Mansfield. Bit of grass tracking IIRC before getting back on the track, not sure who it was but the bike was a 749/999 shape with similiar colours to your bike. (In the afternoon i think)
Old 12-Feb-2006, 23:51
Montjuic

I'm trying Dunlop Slicks next weekend for the first time on my new racebike at Snetterton.
I've only been timed there when I took my ZX12R there last year. It had K-tech front and rear suspension and was only the 2nd time I rode it so it was set the same as when I picked it up. On D207's (rear nearly shagged) my best lap was a 1min 25.
Later with a scrubbed 190 section rear Metzeler sportec M1 I clocked a 1min 24 with a lot less spinning and sliding.
Even though it's winter I'm expecting to get sub 1 min 20's on 16.5" slicks as the bike was in BSB last year and still has most of the trick bits. The motors stock now with a full race system but should still go well it's a ZX10.
I'm not sure slicks would work well with road suspension and they're a bit of a gamble if you havn't got spare wheels.
Dunlop D207RR's are the best all weather track tyres I've used so far.
Old 23-Feb-2006, 00:02
Montjuic

The Dunlop 16 and a half inch slicks are nothing short of shocking. In cold and damp conditions they gave reasuring feel and decent grip. Later when it the track was warm the grip was so good I went out without tyre warmers to get a feel for them if they should start to slide. Even then they were sticky after a lap or so.
Once warm the standard ZX10R motor struggles to trouble them, only hamfisted throttle openings at full lean will make them move slightly. However as a result of so little give in the tyre grip the chasis shakes violently when power is applied hard through corners. I'm going to be looking for a better suspension setup at cadwell this weekend to try and calm it down.
Overall I'd say slicks are overkill for most trackday riders and at the moment I would prefer a tyre with a bit less grip so I could turn the bike a bit easier in corners.
Old 23-Feb-2006, 09:53
888 at Last !!!

Interesting reading and I'd love to try slicks one day just to see what they are like - not that I could really do them any justice.

This weeks MCN has Colin Edwards riding his M1 Yamaha with Michelin track day/road tyres and although the bike was put on it's mildest settings he was only 2 secs off qualifying for the GP on them.

I reckon Rattler is right - they must be grippier so I must be able to go faster on them (mind over matter)
Old 10-Mar-2006, 23:04
Mille

What can you guys tell me about the different compounds?? Right now I am looking at two options...Pilot Race or the new dual compound Pilot Power 2CT. Kinda leaning towards the Race just for the sheer confidince and the fact that I'm looking for a track only tire and not a dual use tire. Cost is also not the biggest factor since the price between the two is negligible and I need them anyways. This is also for my very first track day, so I'll take what ever you guys got. I'm mainly thinking about going with the Pilot Race but want to learn what I can about which compound may be best for me.