Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jan-2006, 16:31
500SD

Hi guys

Without getting technical or quoting specifics, here's how the ratios appear to compare between Strada and SP models:

1st gear = same cog in both boxes
2nd gear = same cog in both boxes
3rd gear = lower ratio in SP
4th gear = lower ratio in SP
5th gear = lower ratio in SP
6th gear = lower ratio in SP

The SP has a higher final drive ratio though (chain/sprocket combination), and this means that 1st and 2nd gears feel much higher than on the Strada. Moving off from a standstill is a real pain, so it's not much fun in town.

Oddly, 6th gear on the SP is so low that on the road its an exact match for only 5th gear on the Strada. Ride your Strada along a motorway in 5th gear, and you'll get a sense of how the SP feels in top gear.

Where the Strada uses three gears to get from 2nd - 5th (in terms of ratio change), the SP uses four for exactly the same job. Hence, the top four gears on the SP are very closely spaced.

Fred - You'll probably find that fitting a Strada gearbox to the SP will make it a better road bike. SP box is better suited to the track.

As clear as mud, eh?

Steve
Old 13-Jan-2006, 16:34
Mille

Mood: Scared! The SP4 hates me!!
888 gearbox

You're probably right, but how would that affect a standard strada? When I rode my bike (with 851 box) home, top felt no different - but I was cruising due to the wind, snow, rain and hail I was experiencing. (I'm in Scotland)

Fred
Old 13-Jan-2006, 16:38
Mille

888 gearbox

Steve,

You threw your message in just before I replied to Nat and answered my question before it was asked.

Who said there's no such thing as telepathy.

Fred
Old 13-Jan-2006, 16:47
500SD

Fred - Are you saying that after fitting an 851 box to your SP4 it made no difference to the top gear ratio? It should have! My own (standard) SP4 revs 500 rpm higher than my (standard) 94 model Strada at the same speed (70mph) in top gear.

Bear in mind the the early SP was badged as an 851 anyway. Was your '851' gearbox maybe taken from an SP2/3?
Old 13-Jan-2006, 16:48
500SD

Oh well, the answer's been answered again. Doh!
Old 13-Jan-2006, 17:06
Mille

888 gearbox

Steve.

What I meant was:

I've only ridden the bike once - when I picked it up from the shop after the rebuild. It has new pistons and the bottom end is a pre 500 miler so I was riding half throttle everywhere for running in. I did notice the difference with the first gear though. I think I'll hold on to the old gearbox as well as the crankcases as they should really be kept with the bike. (in case I sell to someone who has the patience and ability to restore her to total SP4)
Cheers
Fred
Old 13-Jan-2006, 17:54
500SD

Do check your sprockets too Fred - or everything else means zilch. SP4 came with 15/36 teeth. If this final drive is matched with an 851 gearbox, I should think you'll have a very high top gear! (Strada uses 15/37)