Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-May-2005, 10:21
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Clutch on the way out?

I'm new to the world of dry clutches with my recently purchased 2002 900ss. Previously my 1999 750ss had a wet clutch.

I've been riding the bike to and from work over the last week. This involved a lot of stopping and starting in traffic. I have noticed that when moving away in 1st gear, from a complete standstill, just as I let the clutch out there is a low pitched "squeek" (that doesn't really describe it very well) and a feeling of something slipping. This doesn't seem to happen in any other gear when the bike is in motion.

I have however noticed that it also occurs to a small degree if I go down through the gears and use engine breaking heavily. Just as the gear engages there is a very brief "slip".

Now, my thoughts are that the clutch is buggered. But the bike has only done less than 5,000 miles. Surely a clutch is good for longer than this? I've done 15k on my 750ss with a wet clutch and never had any problems. Do dry clutches give out much sooner/easier?

Any other suggestions as to what might be causing this if it isn't the clutch?
Old 12-May-2005, 10:27
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Phil
Easiest way to tell is to pull the plates, a 10 - 15 minute job.
It could just be 5K worth of dust build up in the clutch which you can clean out.
Whilst the plates are out you can take a peek at them to see how badly ( if at all ) they're worn but usually it's a matter of cleaning the pack & that sorts most problems.
Andy
Old 12-May-2005, 14:15
500SD

Phil

My own bike's clutch has been doing the same thing for the last two thousand miles - including 'chirping' on downshift - but it will still take full throttle in a high gear without slipping. I'd agree, it's probably just dust build up.
Old 12-May-2005, 14:51
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Thanks for the responses guys. Doesn't sound like it's anything too major then - which is great.

On of my next posts on this board will probably be on Saturday afternoon asking how to put a dry clutch back together............

Wish me luck.
Old 12-May-2005, 14:57
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
As you take the plates out, clean each one & then stack them in order!!!!!!!
To help getting the plain plates out, a magnetic pickup tool is very useful, especially as you get further down the pack.
Andy
Old 12-May-2005, 15:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Phil - I managed to get mine back in successfully last time I decided to remove them for a 'dusting', when AK was away.

Wasnt as difficult as I had imagined, the daunting bit was getting started.....

C