Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Apr-2005, 00:57
Mille

problems

As subject , Took the bike up to Croft today and i have a problem . The bike will run fine for 30 or so miles then die so pull in turn of the ignition wait a couple of minutes then start the bike ,everything is fine , 30 miles or so later repeat . It appears to be fuel starvation so i,m thinking fuel pump or filter ?

Thanks in advance for any input

Paul
Old 04-Apr-2005, 10:33
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Sounds like a build up of pressure stopping the fuel from getting through - a blocked breather pipe or incorrectly fitted breather valvue (ie, wrong way round!) would do this.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 10:37
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
sounds like a familiar problem.

First thing to check is that the tubes under the tank are not being pinched at any point as this happens really easily when lowering the tank.

If this doesn't help then I am stumped.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 11:16
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Yep - the guys have the popular ones already....

Fuel breather on top of the tank near the yokes - try pulling the tube off the tank (providing its NOT full 'to the brim') if your starvation next happens.

Fuel pipes under the tank - easily trapped + check fuel tap is fully open.

Fuel lines could possibly get blocked up as well but, unlikely.

Sadly, then its into checking filters next I think - which means going into the fuel tank (2 filters in there - one for the pump the other a larger cartridge type).

Followed by delving into the carbs themselves

I've had this happen to me and thankfully it was just the tank breather that I replaced via Ducati Leeds who are cool dudes.

Good luck - Frank
Old 04-Apr-2005, 13:04
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I replaced the inner tank filters on the SS tank as part of the strip-down for racing.

It's actually quite an easy job to do - at least I managed to do it!

There are indeed two filters - one is a guaze filter which lays in the bottom of the tank, before the pump, and the other is a standard Ducatui cartridge type after the pump. Really easy to replace both of these and parts should be around £20. I got mine from Nelly at Cornerspeed as he had them in stock along with a new petrol tap (I broke it!) and a sealing ring for the outer petrol cap ring.
Old 04-Apr-2005, 13:15
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Sounds like a trip to Nellys to me, he'll sort it

andy
Old 04-Apr-2005, 20:12
Mille

Please feel free to mock me severely

After reading antonye,s reply I had a classic Doh!!! moment , ofcourse it was a pressure problem cant for the life of me think why i was over complicating things

Sure enough went out , pulled the breatherpipe off and was greeted by a rush of air into the tank , a quick blow through the breather valve confirmed its on back to front . Have'nt a clue how long its been like that , looking at the service history its last MOT was july last year and the previous owner only managed to amass 72 miles from then until november when it was SORN,ed so its anyone,s guess .

Thanks a lot guys been a great help

Paul
Old 17-Apr-2005, 21:19
Mille

Just a quick update , Finally managed to get a semi decent run in today (80 miles or so) and everything is fine , the bike didnt miss a beat . Just need to balance the carbs now as they are way out of synch .

Paul
Old 17-Apr-2005, 22:32
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Balance is easy enough to do - I bought some Mercury gauges years ago and they still serve me well.

I think its recommended to sort everything else from a service point of view BEFORE doing the carbs.... eg - tappets, timing, plugs etc etc.

Happy days - Frank
Old 24-Apr-2005, 21:30
Mille

Everything done today and carb,s balanced (they where way out of synch) Its transformed the bike totally , its now a joy to ride I used Morgan carbtune gauges , the ones with a steel rod in the tubes not Mercury (seems mercury manometers are a no no these days) and though i was sceptical at first they worked fine .

Frank your right it is easy enough to do just damned fiddly trying to get to the synchronising screw