Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Mar-2005, 12:38
Montjuic

Mood: SP4 is back
SP4 What Tyres

Hi all

What tyres would you recommend fitting to the 888 SP4, It has currently got Michelin Hi Sports fitted, which are at least 5 years old and I am sure they are passed their best. I have a CBR 600 and fitted Pirelli Diablos which I am seriously considering.

The duke is only going to be used in the dry, I am not bothered about getting huge mileage.

Also what sizes are fitted as standard and has anyone deviated from standard fitments? and what were the results.

Cheers

Simon
Old 15-Mar-2005, 13:09
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by simon foster
I have a CBR 600 and fitted Pirelli Diablos which I am seriously considering.

The answer is in the question. I think a lot of people with 888's have gone the Diablo route with good results.

If you're not concerned about mileage, then getting the stickier Corses may be the way to go, but you'll have to be a brave man if you can give serious grief to the standard Diablos.
Old 15-Mar-2005, 13:52
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Simon,I`m a bridgestone fan,so I tried the new 014s on mine and they are awful really dissapointed with them after loving the010s on my SS.So I`m going back to pirelli evos or diablos which ever I can get the best deal on when the 014s wear out.
Old 15-Mar-2005, 18:52
Ducati Corse

I have Diablo corsa's on my SP5.Tried BT012ss's,but really not happy with them.

[Edited on 15-3-2005 by Jasper]
Old 15-Mar-2005, 20:14
Montjuic

Looks like I am going for the Pirellis then!

Jasper, What profile and width and pressures do you run on the SP5?

Simon

[Edited on 15-3-2005 by simon foster

[Edited on 15-3-2005 by simon foster]
Old 15-Mar-2005, 20:23
Ducati Corse

180/55 & 120/70.

32F 36R
Old 15-Mar-2005, 20:31
Montjuic

Jasper, How does it handle on the road, those pressures seem a bit low, I had 32 in the front michelin when i took it out for a blast and it seemed soft and the low speed stability was poor.

Maybe the sidewalls in the old tyres were/are knackered

[Edited on 15-3-2005 by simon foster]
Old 15-Mar-2005, 21:19
Ducati Corse

Have a look at this,mate:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...9600#pid114998
Old 15-Mar-2005, 22:28
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Some feedback from one of my 888 buddies who has a track and a road 888;

Michelins are a complete no no with 888’s – bin them immediately (referring to my current (crap!) tyres!), Rennsports (road compound) work best on 888’s, outrageous lean angles, traction and stability under braking can be achieved with these tyres, they have good feel and being very compliant give a smooth ride. One spin-off, is their low weight, which combined with a mag wheel and light disks make a real difference to directional changes and steering. For track only try Rensport RS1 front/RS2 rear combo, however you will have to bin them after one track day, as these are one shot wonder tyres that cant cope with repeated heat cycles. I have just got a pair of K1 Racetec’s that superceed the Rennsports, haven’t tried them yet but will let you know, again these are track only, but are reported to survive longer than the RS1/RS2 combo. Caution, whenever you fit new road Rennsports take it VERY easy for the first 100 miles and choose a hot day with some abrasive tarmac to do it, failure to respect this will cost you dear.

The pics I sent you where with the following tyre/suspension set up:-

Tyres – Rennsport road compound front 31.5 psi, rear 29-30 psi (this is also best for solo road work)

Front suspension: preload – 4 rings. Rebound – 4 clicks off hard, compression, 9 clicks off hard

Rear suspension: preload – stock, compression 2 turns off hard, rebound, ¾ turn of hard, rear hoop ride height – stock, rose joints wound completely in.

Hope that helps..?

Nat
Old 08-May-2005, 23:51

Dunlop 207 GP

Simon

If you're not bothered about mileage, then try the 207 GP (not the RR!). These are brilliant on my SP3 - the profile sharpens the steering, they warm up quickly and are even reasonable in the wet.

As a race tyre, the 207 GP is very light, so will help with the unsprung weight and offer phenomenal, predicatable grip - although some carcasses are slighty porous and lose pressure from week to week

33psi front and 36/37 rear (road)

Sorry to post this so long after the thread started, but I have only just noticed it.

Charles