Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 25-Mar-2009, 11:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Entrapment or necessity of the nanny state?

Out on the ‘onda Sunday morning in an unfamiliar area when it suddenly dawned on me I wasn’t sure what the speed limit was.
Dimwit you may say, but, in the course of a few miles I’d gone from a 70mph motorway, through some road works posted at 30, a 60 mph national speed limit, a posted 40 mph limit in a more built up area, a 30 mph limit near a junction, etc

That got me thinking. We seemed to have gone from having a well defined speed limit structure of 30 mph in town and national speed limit elsewhere (for bikes 50 for singletrack, 60 for two way, and 70 for Dual carriageway + motorway) to a maze of 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s with no intuitive connection between the type of road and the speed limit set by well known national speed limits.

A national scheme of entrapment?? Festoon the roads with a wide range of various non intuitive posted limits and just wait for the cash to roll in ??

Ray
Old 25-Mar-2009, 11:44
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
Nail hit on head. Logic doesn't come into it anymore.
Old 25-Mar-2009, 11:57
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The problem was caused when the Government handed over control of speed limits to local councils - they've all interpreted the rules differently which leads to different standards around the country.

Obviously they must all stick to the law required for signage of the roads, but you can no longer rely on the "dual = 70, single = 60, built-up = 30" rule-of-thumb.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 25-Mar-2009, 17:41
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
A national scheme of entrapment?? Festoon the roads with a wide range of various non intuitive posted limits and just wait for the cash to roll in ??

This would require good planning and I doubt they are intelligent enough...
Old 25-Mar-2009, 17:54
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Rule of thumb I use - look for street lamps, are they pretty close together ie 100m, then always do 30 mph unless there are repeater signs to the contrary.
Old 25-Mar-2009, 18:45
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
The problem was caused when the Government handed over control of speed limits to local councils - they've all interpreted the rules differently which leads to different standards around the country.

Obviously they must all stick to the law required for signage of the roads, but you can no longer rely on the "dual = 70, single = 60, built-up = 30" rule-of-thumb.
Absolutely.
The Kimbolton to Bedford section of the B660 has been completely ruined by stupid limits.There is one 40mph section between two villages for about 3 miles for no apparent reason.
Old 25-Mar-2009, 20:40
Mille

Mood: counting down to mad sunday
My daily commute in rural Lincolnshire goes like this
60 - 30 - 40 - 60 - 30 - 60 - 30 - 50 - 40 - 30.
Total distance 6 miles!!!
Old 25-Mar-2009, 22:27
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Not a bad overview:

http://www.trafficsignsandmeanings.c...mits-vary.html

F
Old 25-Mar-2009, 23:52
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
There is one 40mph section between two villages for about 3 miles for no apparent reason.

We frequently travel up the A12 between Essex and Suffolk which over the last 10 years has been turning into a 30mph crawl-fest.

It seems that Essex into Suffolk is fine; you can travel on this main trunk road along dual carriageway (and sometimes 3 lanes) for all of it. It is when you get north of Ipswich that it becomes a joke - almost as if the council ran out of money!

I used to travel that bit of road every single day during my youth, and it used to take 40 mins as it was ALL signed as NSL. Now the majority is 50mph with 30mph limits through every single village (population: 3 + 1 dog) with 40mph sections extending either side. We're lucky now if we can do the same run in 1hr 15mins.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 26-Mar-2009, 00:47
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I remember a case a couple of years ago where the county coroner put someones death down to the fact that some bright spark in Suffolk CC had decided that if there was ANY dwelling within about 100 yards of the road it had to be a 30 limit-extending for several 100 yards either side of any dwellings. The coroner made the point that drivers got so frustrated by unnecessary limits that they would overtake as soon as there was any possibility. The overall result was that there had been a significant increase in head on collisions-mostly fatals-whereas in the past most accidents were at junctions and survivable.
Of course the road safely nazi's will say it is the drivers fault and they should all keep in line like good little sheep.

John

Growing old-disgracefully!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit