Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:21
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlist
Where was that then?

Brands last year.....was it the only cost the DSC funded for the DD.?
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:24
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
There were about £1000 in set up costs initially IIRC, the figure was in the accounts presented at the last AGM and posted out to all member afterwards, not a lot in to get things off the ground IMHO.

Ongoing costs are covered by the registration fee???

Not everything boils down to ££££, the biggest wallet shouldn't prevail at this level, Money doesn't talk unless you are Bernie E.

The series was set up to be a two way thing, the club got a new facet for the members, be they racers, spectators, etc, the racers/competitors got a reasonably cheap way to move onwards and upwards from track days.

The governance of the series needs a link to club and or MT to ensure that is not lost sight of.

Ray.

Am I not writing in English today??

My (rhetorical) question about how much clubs funds were spent on DD, was just to illustrate that not very much club money has been spent on DD - which is a very good thing!

I'm trying to make the point that the riders/teams are the ones spending the money (as we should be) and that DD is not free (see other post) or subsidised by the club.

Some people think it is (or appear to).

DD is a great series, it's a DSC series, it's open to all the members, but only taken advantage of by a few. Those few, spend a fortune to take part and put on a great event that the club should (and are) proud of.

That said, I think decisions affecting DD riders need to be handled very carefully and not passed out to the general membership to decide.

One other small point...

It is my opinion that some aspects of the DD series have been handled in a such a way to promote the DSC and not for the benefit of the riders.

I think that whoever is looking after DD in 2007 needs to remember that they are acting on behalf of the riders firstly (like a union rep), followed very closely by the benefits to the general club etc.

If riders lose confidence and continue to drop out, then we're left with nothing.

Just a thought, not a poke. It may not even be an issue. Just wanted to raise it. I think it's a valid point.

Last edited by domski : 25-Sep-2006 at 14:26.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:26
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
In the interest of not wanting to appear to have a hidden agenda or be part of any clique I have removed the "Vote for...." comment. This was merely an attempt to be witty.

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:28
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougducati
I think a couple of hundred quid was used early September!!!!

We were told that no club funds were used on Desmo Due. Then at the AGM in the accounts was an item listed as desmo due, I can't remember the cost. I queried this to be told that the money was spent on getting the series sponsor, Ducati UK, to bring their truck to the Brands Hatch round in Sept.

That's all that I'm aware of.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:32
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty

You are right Dom-it isn't a jolly it's racing, and would have cost you the same whatever class you were racing in. By the same token the DD series has since it started cost me loads of money-for a start it cost's me £50 in diesel every time I go to any of the tracks apart from Snett (which is nearer). You at least get the joy(?) of racing-I'm not sure what 'personal gain' I or any of the other people who have helped run this series from the start are supposed to have made??

John

John - I'm not sure I understood your point.

If you don't (didn't) gain anything from running the series, then why would you do it? Perhaps you thought you would, but haven't? Perhaps its a charitable act?

What "personal gain" do you seek from any of your DSC activities? What have you gained from running the trackdays?

Tim
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:51
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Am I not writing in English today??

My (rhetorical) question about how much clubs funds were spent on DD, was just to illustrate that not very much club money has been spent on DD - which is a very good thing!

I'm trying to make the point that the riders/teams are the ones spending the money (as we should be) and that DD is not free (see other post) or subsidised by the club.

Some people think it is (or appear to).

DD is a great series, it's a DSC series, it's open to all the members, but only taken advantage of by a few. Those few, spend a fortune to take part and put on a great event that the club should (and are) proud of.

That said, I think decisions affecting DD riders need to be handled very carefully and not passed out to the general membership to decide.

One other small point...

It is my opinion that some aspects of the DD series have been handled in a such a way to promote the DSC and not for the benefit of the riders.

I think that whoever is looking after DD in 2007 needs to remember that they are acting on behalf of the riders firstly (like a union rep), followed very closely by the benefits to the general club etc.

If riders lose confidence and continue to drop out, then we're left with nothing.

Just a thought, not a poke. It may not even be an issue. Just wanted to raise it. I think it's a valid point.

nicely put dom and i agree
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:51
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
philanthropy.
Old 25-Sep-2006, 14:52
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
"I also get the impression that some members think that DD is laid on for us for free, and they get the hump coz some of us complain sometimes. Perhaps something can be published to clear that up? It's cost me over £3500 (of Domski money) this season and I've not had to buy a bike AND I have good sponsorship too! Some people have spent £10,000+

This isn't a DSC jolly."

You are right Dom-it isn't a jolly it's racing, and would have cost you the same whatever class you were racing in. By the same token the DD series has since it started cost me loads of money-for a start it cost's me £50 in diesel every time I go to any of the tracks apart from Snett (which is nearer). You at least get the joy(?) of racing-I'm not sure what 'personal gain' I or any of the other people who have helped run this series from the start are supposed to have made??

John

We made a choice to race in dd as you made a choice to be on the MT/RC...50 quid lol small change.!
Old 25-Sep-2006, 15:09
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
philanthropy.

Who are you calling a stamp collector?
Old 25-Sep-2006, 15:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
We were told that no club funds were used on Desmo Due. Then at the AGM in the accounts was an item listed as desmo due, I can't remember the cost. I queried this to be told that the money was spent on getting the series sponsor, Ducati UK, to bring their truck to the Brands Hatch round in Sept.

That's all that I'm aware of.

That is right Tony, the cost attached was the truck at the Brands Hatch round. As I was involved with making the decision to bring that truck to Brands I can tell you what my thoughts on it were at the time: The plan was that a lot of Ducati dealers would get their known customers together, arrange a ride in, have special parking next to the truck and we had the opportunity of using the truck to gain new members, - in reality it was part marketing exercise to get new members, - so perhaps the cost could have been spread into a marketing section on our books, but I am not sure that we have a marketing budget! In reality the dealer take up was disappointing, - with DLS/DLC raising most interest with their ride in. It was also a good opportunity for a number of people who were thinking about joining for 2006 to come along and meet the club and see what it is all about. It could have been used by riders as a focal point for their existing sponsors and potential sponsors. Looking back I do not think anybody used it to its full potential but we live and learn. It did keep us dry on the Saturday night when the storm came in!