Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-Jun-2005, 14:49
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Ohhh, yummy!!

Thats a 'proper' rev counter

Old 18-Jun-2005, 19:43
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Saturday 18th june, what a scorcher of a day. I was up early with the intention of going to Beaulie Motorcycle World show, but the others I was going to go with decided Golf was the priority for the day. Not for me it isn't.
Preping the DD bike for Snetterton was this weekdnds Priority.
So we started by getting the bike out into the sunshine and giving it a checkover to see if anything was about to drop off.

All checked out OK, so what next change gearing, nah leave it as it was at Castle Combe, I've never ridden Snet so I would only be guessing and with a few extra practices in the form of a trackday I have a bit more time to test and see what works.

OK what next I said to my self, I know I'll fit a twin disc front end.
Checked the length of the fork legs in the 600SS ah-ha they are the same length as in the 620 Monster. Measure from the underside of the bottom yoke to the centre of the wheel spindle on the DD bike and get a reading of 430mm to use as front ride height reference.
Jack up the monster and whip out the front end less yokes & callipers.
Next jack up front end of 600SS and whip out its front end less Yokes and replace with the Monster front end. Next pinch callipers and Mastercylinder off my 996 project.
Hey Presto a twin disc front end, couple of problems, steering damper clamp doesn't fit the later fork legs and also the wrong tyre and the mudgaurd look naff.
Solutions :- Remove Steering damper, swap front mudgaurd for my well tatty Carbon one that has been kicking around the garage since November and as for the front tyre, Knock the bearings out of bothe front wheels and swap over along with the spacer, Job done wheel colours still match.
Check front rideheight measurement, 410mm.... right who knicked 20mm... time for some single rate Ohlins springs, check my stocks two sets of 0.9kg/mm ones one set off a 748/916 and the other set off your guess is as good as mine.
The 748/916 ones are the same outside diameter and only 4mm shorter in length, only slight problem was their inside diameter was a fraction smaller causing then to bind on the plastic guide. I could have just done away with the guides but with a deburring tool I trimmed them to the right size.
Re-assemble the forks with the Ohlins springs and now the front ride height is 420mm, still missing 10mm, 5 of which I can get back by running the Fork tops flush with the yoke, but as the spings are 0.05kg/mm stiffer than the ones I had in the original front end hopefully the front mudgaurfd meeting the fairing will not be a issue.

I will work out what this adds to the budget when I have replaced the Monster front end bits that I robbed and offset that against any parts I sell on from the SS front end if I decide to sell, firstly lets see how I get on with the new front end, certainly isn't going to make the bike faster down the big straight at Snet but it may allow me to brake a bit closer to the corner at the end of it.

And while I have been doing all this I seem to have missed something happening with some posts if Weeksy's one that I have just read is anything to go by and juding by the replies it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18-Jun-2005, 19:45
MotoGP God

look Mum it has one each side
Old 18-Jun-2005, 19:58
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
They will keep you out the Cabbage patch.
Old 05-Aug-2005, 10:51
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
I will work out what this adds to the budget when I have replaced the Monster front end bits that I robbed and offset that against any parts I sell on from the SS front end if I decide to sell

quick update, to replace the forks, callipers and discs robbed from my M620 has cost me £180.
I still have the original front end that has a fully floating SPS disc which if I was to sell I could offset against the cost of the new bits.
But at the moment I will hang on to them as the budget racer is still a cheap bike now owing me in the region £2075 and has a spare engine (noisey but runs) and a spare front end minus a wheel.