Ducati Sporting Club UK
Rideouts, Meets and other Events
Details of various meetings, rideouts and events that are not Ducati specific.

Old 10-Nov-2004, 21:09
Montjuic

winter riding - advice please

Avice please - as a novice rider, only passed test in july, should I be still trying to get out and about on my bike. I have a 600 monster which is a great little bike but dont feel I've got totally to grips with it yet. I live out in the country and all the roads seem to be covered in mud and wet leaves. Should I not be such a wimp? or stop beating myself up about it and hang up my keys till better weather comes?
Old 10-Nov-2004, 21:10
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
call me a wuss but keep it in the garage until the first warm day of spring. you'll know when it is, the raods will be full of bikes all of a sudden.
Old 10-Nov-2004, 21:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
if you want to keep it nice better hang up them leathers and put that bike on the garage.
otherwise it just down to taking it very very steady.
You choose
Old 10-Nov-2004, 21:24
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
ok dickie.... you're a wuss. well, you did ask!

lynn, since you're aware of the hazards, that probably shows you're not such a novice as you think. If you do go out, and there's no reason why you shouldn't, i think the only hazards that aren't already there on a wet summers day would be icy bits. I try to avoid riding when there might be ice, but otherwise just keep it slow and smooth and you ought to be fine.

It's great fun riding in the snow, early in the morning before the cars get out to turn it to slush!
Old 10-Nov-2004, 21:26
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
It's a tough one. You can chose to be a fair weather rider. No disgrace in that, lots of club members here are, and your bike stays nice and clean. Alternatively, you can get out there and skid about on wet leaves, wet drain covers, wet paint markings on the road, potter around like a real novice and learn what to avoid riding over in bad weather. Country roads are the pits in the winter, and an accident early on will probably dent your confidence. My advice is, compromise. Go out once or twice when it's a fairly nice day when, a bit chilly and a bit damp and see if you enjoy yourself regardless.

And don't think about whether you'll be considered a wimp or not. You're a woman riding a monster. You are definitely, categorically, not a wimp. ok?
Old 10-Nov-2004, 21:29
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i enjoy rideing in poor conditions, not as much as riding in the dry but i still enjoy it
the most important thing i find is to make sure that you are up for it.you aint gunna ride well if you is wet and shivering,wear the right kit
also riding in the wet taught me a lot about handeling the bike, like not botteling it when the back spins up,i dont ever manage it in the dry on my ickle st2),or when you get the front stepping out,it happens!and any experiance is good experiance, it all helps you ride well.

good observation,antipation and preperation(same as in the dry but more so)
and dont back of the throttle in the middle of the bend if you think you might be over doing it ride the rear brake instead. works for me
Old 10-Nov-2004, 22:03
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Sound advice Lynn from those that do and those that don't. Most people are more worried what the elements will do to there bikes than are worried about what the elements will do to them. Winter riding can be as much fun ,especially on a ride out with a few mates to share the numb fingers and frozen body parts. You are more aware of the dangers that winter riding brings, you have mentioned about road conditions and stuff lying in wait,even now there seems to be more road kill on the road laterly. I would find it very flustrating to have to hibernate my bike over winter Ive never done it yet. Some of the lads ride all year round especially those that commute, Id rather be on the roads that i now and can have some fun on,heavy traffic is no fun so I look forwards to getting out into the not so used roads around N Beds and Cambs. As a novice rider try to get out with some of the more experianced riders and tell them you are not ready for a mega blat yet,Im sure you can be taken under the wing and learn a few tricks and tips. Its more of what you and the bike are capable of which is a hell of a lot more than you think. You don't say what part of the world you come from,if its Herts Beds Cambs come and join us . 4D
Old 10-Nov-2004, 22:37
Ducati Corse

But if you take it out mine will be in the garage on its own and get lonely.

I used to put mine away for the winter but as we dont really have winters anymore i dont bother becasue its a pain de winterising it when we have a nice day.

My real problem is that i dont have any decent winter kit and neither does Lynn. I think if you can keep warm then the state of he roads is less of an issue. When you get cold your concentration starts to go and its just gets really nasty.

On balance i think that as long as its not raining or snowing or icy then you should take it out. Stick to the bigger roads then leaves and mud wont be a problem. Just be aware that the wind chill factor will get you quicker than you realise and its horrid knowing you still have to ride 20 miles to get home and you can't stop shivering.
Old 10-Nov-2004, 22:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
So then Lynn....Where the blinkin heck were you then on Tuesday.....sigh!???

You know my views...rain, snow, hail, fog...Oh yeah and sunshine!
I just cant get enough of any riding conditions...Me personally? I think it's helped me improve alot in a year.

However...Depends how keen you are to get out there. It's fun to get out with a few mates like Fordie says, no matter what the weather. Some people on here prefer to ride in fair weather in the opinion that it cuts down the risk abit further and also keeps your bike smart and shiny...
Personally I think a bike is for having fun on and a couple of hours blat puts a smile on a grey winter face!
Old 10-Nov-2004, 22:49
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Ditto KB

and go do some Advanced riding young lady!