Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-May-2003, 10:17

AP Disks onto standard calipers ....????

if i buy a pair of AP disks, can they go on wheels with standard Calipers ?????

Will the disks alone provide any improvment ???

cheers.
Old 12-May-2003, 13:25
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Weeksy, I'm not sure it will work properly. The AP disk are a lot narrower than the standard brembo's. I can run the brembo discs with the AP calipers and you can see that it only grabs maybe 75% of the disc. Now if you tried this the other way around, the way I see it is that the Brembo caliper will try and grab more disc than the AP disc has, so it will hit the rotor. Does that make sense?

I'll try and line up my AP discs to my Brembo calipers tonight and see what happens.

Can you get hold of some AP discs then? I think I may have problems with mine again.
Old 12-May-2003, 15:02
mpj

Well you could always buy my discs and calipers if you like ......
Old 12-May-2003, 15:11
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Have a word with Jon, he just did the CSS with me and Guido. In the pub he was telling us how he uses PFM cast iron discs with Brembo calipers and gets a big improvement...He'll know more about it than me naturally
Old 12-May-2003, 15:45
Mille

Mood: Meditating
Yes the AP disks will work OK with Brembo callipers, However there are a couple of drawbacks

1. The lever travel increases significantly; not enough to come back to the throttle grip, but it is noticeable. I think the AP capliers must use a different piston / master cylinder ratio that compensates for the thinner AP disks.

2. The footprint of the AP disk is smaller than the Brembo pads. Not a problem if you always run AP disks, but If you wanted to swap back to wheels with standard disks, the pads would need replacing because they would had a distinct step worn into the braking surface.

PFM cast disks are a replacement that are the same thickness and have the same footprint as the Brembo disks

JPM are you selling some standard 320mm Brembo disks in good condition (ie no warps)? I would like to buy them very much.
Old 12-May-2003, 16:18
mpj

I do have some Brembo discs yes, no idea what size they are, I have 2 sets in fact, with matching calipers, one set was off a 916 Senna with about 2000 miles usage, the other off a 996 with similar use.

The AP setup is still on my 996 which I will be selling in the near future.
Old 12-May-2003, 17:22
Mille

Mood: Meditating
JPM......Sent you a U2U message, if you cant retreive it send me your e-mail address to gary.cunnington@abbott.com.
Old 13-May-2003, 01:30
Bevel Head

AP Discs, bloody sick of \'em!!!!

As I'm sure you all realise, I've been trying to sell a pair of AP Racing Cast-Iron Discs for a whilst now (unsuccessfully), for the very reason this topics about - They can't go on my 996. When I tryed to have them fitted, the mechanic told me they couldn't go on because they didn't allow the wheel to rotate freely enough in the centre of the wheel.

I think I'm gonna try to sell 'em to a load of Fireblade boys next as I've done some homework and they should be able to fit 'em no probs at all. One things for sure though, they're far too nice to sit in my front room looking at me!!!!
Old 13-May-2003, 11:03
mpj

Won't go on your 996?

I have a set on mine no problems at all, fit first time....

I do know that they do fit directly onto a blade though, not sure which years/models etc though if that's any help
Old 13-May-2003, 13:12
Mille

Mood: Ha ha eat my flailing tyre rubbe
Get a radial brembo cylinder instead

Weeksy, I found the radial brembo conversion on the master cylinder to be much more benificial. been running standard sps cast iron discs anyhow but the feel at the lever and the progressive power is unbelievable with the brembo kit. If you've already got one then the discs would be the obvious option if not get the master cylinder, costs more performs better. Won't wear out like discs either unless you bin it !