Ducati Sporting Club UK
Technical - Help or Info - NON Motorcycle
PC's, Internet etc. Cars, or how to fix that leaky radiator - in here please!

Old 13-Jun-2006, 17:12
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix n max
Just looking through wanadoo's stuff now.
Anyone any opinions on if it's better than BT ?

You have to remember that all ADSL (broadband) over a phoneline goes through BT anyway - it is your ISP that differs.

They're all pretty much the same, and the price difference usually means a difference in the features you get - capped (limited amount of download), no newsgroups, free modem, etc

Start with a price and see what is available at that price. Look at what they offer at that price and compare. Pick one will get the most out of for the price you pay.

My old man went with Wanadoo because they offered the cheapest Wireless package, so he didn't have to worry about buying all the bits he needed.

Hope this helps!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 13-Jun-2006, 17:58
Mille

Mood: Very thirsty
FWIW I have plumbed for Tiscali when I can't get access to Telewest coz you're not hammered on download limits. I'm sure there are others around nowadays offering unlimited surfing, but at the time of selecting it most of the others were restricting the amount you could download/upload.

I agree with previous comments about 'wired' being more secure than wireless, ultimately a physical connection is going to offer the best form of protection. However implementing an appropriate level of encryption will act as a deterent which is a good hurdle to put in the way of most would-be snoopers. At the end of the day there are many other ways of intercepting internet traffic, governments/agencies are doing it all the time.

I was determined to network our house with CAT5 cabling system when we moved in about 4 years ago. Convinced the Missus that it was worth spending the money (which was a job in itself. I've had better receptions presenting business cases to the boards of big companies than I did trying to win her support for that one !!). Looking back now I'm so glad the wireless revolution hit the consumer market. Saved myself a packet and wasn't restricted to using the PC within range of a wall socket. Plus the Missus was happy that I wasn;t ripping up the carpets to route cables here, there and everywhere. I've even gone wireless on my front door bell - which was a giggle for the first few days when I had it on the same channel as someone else in the area. It was sport alone watching the kids dive to the front door when the bell rang only to find no-one was there. I still smile at the thought that the other person was probably doing the same when we rang our door bell .

Jiminy
Old 13-Jun-2006, 18:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/com...action=Compare
Old 13-Jun-2006, 18:55
Ducati Meccanica

Lots to look through - thanks peeps
I was going to go down the Talk Talk one til I heard there's a 3 month waiting list.
My kids would lynch me having to wait that long !
Old 14-Jun-2006, 20:49
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonio600
btw I love the sig in the post mate, you using a bookmarklet or anything to make it easier? You're giving me ideas

use a Firefox extension called clippings....just past it in from a menu item

Where there's a will, there's a way and rules were meant to be bent.

2 cylinders are all you need but, 3 is a fine compromise
www.twpd.co.uk
www.twpdracing.com
Old 14-Jun-2006, 21:18
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
When I went wireless I decided to keep one computer (the one nearest the phone point and the router) on a wired connection just in case anything went wrong with the wireless network. Lo and behold within a month the router was hors de combat and so still had one pooter talking to the outside world while BTs Bangalore office eventually sorted out a replacent router.