Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Nov-2004, 13:37
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
New tyre time

Its time for new tyres for the Filthystrada, been through standard Scorpians and Pirelli Dragon Evo.

Am thinking about a pair of Diablos, very happy with them on 996, has anybody tried them on a muckystrada? Do they suit it, or what else have you tried that suit the bike.

Scorpians work well but are expensive in comparison to Diablos.

Obviously not interested in super sticky track day tyres, equally so don't want concrete based CHENG SHEN tyre that will go twice round the world without wearing. Want good road tyre and if it lasts 4000 miles and grips i'll be a happy bunny.
Old 12-Nov-2004, 18:58
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
equally so don't want concrete based CHENG SHEN tyre that will go twice round the world without wearing.

With the sort of capers you get up to on that Multi, I would've thought that's exactly what you wanted

Seriously though, I've had the Diablo ordinaire (not the Corsas) on my ST since April. They've done just over 4,000 quick road miles, two track days and have more grip than someone with my ability can use.
Old 12-Nov-2004, 19:40
Ducati Corse

Jools, i'm a great fan of the Diablos (standard ones as well) on the 996, more than adequate for my version of fast road riding. Curious to see if anyone has tried them on a Lumpystrudel.

Supercorsa's are wasted to me but equally so despite clocking up a few miles i don't want to go too far down the less grip but more mileage route Avon Speedmaster route.

I like a tyre that has a bit more grip on the road than i've got on reality. Just trying to find out what others have tried.

I can get a pair of Diablos at £190 fitted and balanced, whereas the Scorpians are £210. 120/70 & 180/55.

I've seen mail order deals for pairs of lose tyres cheaper, i.e. D208's but i didn't like them on the 996 plus you've got to add on the cost of fitting and balancing a pair.

No silly trips planned for the Multi next year anyway

(yet!)
Old 12-Nov-2004, 19:45
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
BDG this time of year i would be tempted to use Bridgestones!

good wet or dry mate!
Old 12-Nov-2004, 19:53
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by madmav
BDG this time of year i would be tempted to use Bridgestones!

good wet or dry mate!

010's great in the wet and last well, but Diablos i prefer in the dry and almost as good in the wet.

012's & 014's have never lasted half as long as 010's (or Diablos) despite what Bridgestone claim. Very few 010's about now with being superceded.
Old 12-Nov-2004, 19:56
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
shame there's no Bt56's left !
Old 12-Nov-2004, 20:03
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Sounds like the Diablo's are the way to go.I'm gonna fit some next time 'round.(Wont be long )
Mine's wearing MEZ3's at the mo.Great when new,but now they are worn,the handling is best described as "interesting".
Old 13-Nov-2004, 12:43
Big Twin

I fit Diablos to Multistrada back in September and am very pleased with them. They seem to warm up quickly like the scorpions and offer more than enough grip for road riding. Like the scorpions I have had no problems at all in the wet. I paid £180 including fitting/balancing etc (to loose wheels).

The handling has improved a lot but that probably has more to do with the state of the previous set of tyres that the tyre fitter proclaimed "not fit to hang off the side of a boat!"

The only problem I had was the Lardystrada slipping off the front paddock stand just as I removed the front wheel! No damage done but i spent the longest 5 minutes of my life wrestling with the bike trying to keep it upright before my girlfriend appeared and slipped a wooden box under the engine!

I always seem to go through 2 rears to every front, is everyone the same?
Old 24-Nov-2004, 03:25
ledaig

Dear BFG
I had Dragon Corsas on my 749 and fitted Diablo Ordinaire. Next time I'll fit Diablo Deluxes or Metz M1s or something as sticky as I got only a couple of hundred miles more wear out of them. On the other hand I may change bikes before then...
Old 22-Dec-2004, 20:03
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Well I have gone for the Dee-abs!
Excellent service and friendly banter from Mike Davis at Robsom Racing.
Hopefully getting them fitted tomorrow in time for the Xmas break.