Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Jun-2006, 09:27

Mood: Anticipation
Smile 2 Valve Tuning

Hi,
I'm planning a return to the fold after many years away from those lovely desmos, used to have a '90 and a '92 900ss. I'm looking for a good Superlight for a winter project but I'm planning a lot of mods to get a lot more 'go'. As I see that Chris Clark Motorcycles is now defunct I'm looking for recommendations as to who to turn to. I understand that Baines is now the place to go. I'm thinking about 944cc and big valves. What kind of power could I expect with this? Is it worth going for a full, big bore Termi system. Can anyone recommend any other tuning mods. What I'm really after is a heap more low down torque and better top end breathing for a fast road bike. Hope someone can help.

Johnny
Old 06-Jun-2006, 10:04
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Hi Johnny,
I've got a lightly tweaked Superlight (FCR 41s, Silmotors, bling bits) and it puts out a modest 78bhp, but we've had SSs on here with up to 102bhp (Blooduke, tuned by Nelly @ Cornerspeed).

As always it's a game of diminishing returns, but the basics for a carbed SS are:

14t front sprocket
Cans

FCR41s
Lightened flywheel
944 big bore (any bigger and the cases need machining) or
High Comp pistons
MBPDucati Testarosso Heads

All needs proper setting up, preferably by our very own Nelly.

Cheers,

Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrider
Hi,
I'm planning a return to the fold after many years away from those lovely desmos, used to have a '90 and a '92 900ss. I'm looking for a good Superlight for a winter project but I'm planning a lot of mods to get a lot more 'go'. As I see that Chris Clark Motorcycles is now defunct I'm looking for recommendations as to who to turn to. I understand that Baines is now the place to go. I'm thinking about 944cc and big valves. What kind of power could I expect with this? Is it worth going for a full, big bore Termi system. Can anyone recommend any other tuning mods. What I'm really after is a heap more low down torque and better top end breathing for a fast road bike. Hope someone can help.

Johnny
Old 06-Jun-2006, 11:03
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
As always it's a game of diminishing returns, but the basics for a carbed SS are:

14t front sprocket
Cans

FCR41s
Lightened flywheel
944 big bore (any bigger and the cases need machining) or
High Comp pistons
MBPDucati Testarosso Heads

All needs proper setting up, preferably by our very own Nelly.

Cheers,

Ali

Ali, if that's your "basic" I dread to think what your "advanced" mods would be!
Old 06-Jun-2006, 11:35
Montjuic

Mood: Garage is getting too small....
Slowrider,

I've got a 93 900SS which is well modded.
The mods include the following....

944 + high comp pistons
Head flowed and ported
Bigger valves
Additional oil cooler
FCR 39mm carbs
Baines modified exhausts
Baines engine studs

I've never dyno tested it, just ridden it....I don't really care for figures, it's on the road feel that matters.

It's done a fair few miles and the cyclinders are now getting worn, so if you're interested in a project bike, then a lot of the work has already been done on mine.....may be worth having a chat to see if we could get a deal going.....

It's not a Superlight, but it could be converted pretty easily if you wanted.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 11:52
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken
Ali, if that's your "basic" I dread to think what your "advanced" mods would be!

As far as I'm concerned the only next step is a big-bored 1000ds engine in full Millona One-Shot spec (c.120bhp). It's where I want to get the Superlight to in the long run, but have to find a suitable donor engine and a few grand in ready change!

You're then talking mag marchis, ohlins, etc, etc, etc.... Current spreadsheet lists full build cost at £17k!

Maybe next year.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 12:39
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
ooooohhhhh........

I've just come over all funny....
Old 06-Jun-2006, 13:16

Mood: Anticipation
Had a chat with Geoff at Baines who said he'd be very wary of big bores. Something about running hot & leaking. He said the best way to go for a fast road engine would be lighter flywheels & clutch, flat slides & pipes and a blueprint. Just come back from Scotland on me Thruxton this weekend and I had to cane the goolies off it to keep up with the litre sports bikes in our pack. I just want something that at least be in with a shout. Okay, a gixer thou would murder me on the straights but it's amazing how many of those boys can't go round the twisties.

Ugly duckling - thanks but I'd like to see if I can track down a nice low mileage SL first.

I also want to go with a fork job and Ohlins rear and eventually Marchis. Do they ever appear in the 'sales' section here?
Old 06-Jun-2006, 13:17
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I know what you mean Ali...

People have asked me just what the point of buying an older bike (like my 888 Strada) and lavishing upgraded brakes, bit's of carbon, high level exhausts plus plans for lightweight wheels, Ohlins rear shock, K-teched front Showas (can't see the point of going to seal popping Ohlins when worked over Showas will work just as well for me)...then there's the engine and gearbox....hmmmm should I go to 926 or 955 in the spirit of the race bikes...or look for an ST4S engine and go up to 996...depending on which engine and spec I could be looking at anything from 110 bhp to 135 bhp....then maybe a close ratio 748R gearbox to lose the 'overdrive' top gear.

The list goes on and the cost doesn't bear thinking about. People could yawn and say 'not another 888 SP5 wannabee' or point out that I could probably have bought an SP to start with or even a 998/999R but that would be missing the point.

To me, half the fun of bike ownership is in dreaming, scheming and planning ways to upgrade your bike. Tinkering with it to make it your own unique bike...something that no-one else has and something that is exactly as you want it.

Plus the fact that I don't need to find a big lump of cash in one go, I can enjoy the basic bike and then just add to it or modify it when I've got the time and the money, and you get an extra hit of enjoyment with the new bits - says the bloke who has just come in from fitting high level carbon cans.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 06-Jun-2006, 13:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Had a chat with Geoff at Baines who said he'd be very wary of big bores. Something about running hot & leaking. He said the best way to go for a fast road engine would be lighter flywheels & clutch, flat slides & pipes and a blueprint. Just come back from Scotland on me Thruxton this weekend and I had to cane the goolies off it to keep up with the litre sports bikes in our pack. I just want something that at least be in with a shout. Okay, a gixer thou would murder me on the straights but it's amazing how many of those boys can't go round the twisties.

Ugly duckling - thanks but I'd like to see if I can track down a nice low mileage SL first.

I also want to go with a fork job and Ohlins rear and eventually Marchis. Do they ever appear in the 'sales' section here?

Oh yes...the litre bikes. I know exactly what you mean. There are not many that come past my 80-ish bhp ST2 on the twisties and even fewer come past the T8 (one I think in the last 1000 miles). The thing is that if anybody is really capable of using much more than 100 - 120 bhp on the road then they should be in BSB. A good Duke two-valver has got the grunt and the power to make a fantastic real world road engine and the handling will see off all but the most determined litre bike....I put it down to being able to bang the throttle open really early and get a whole wave of torque firing you towards the next corner while the IL4 rider is gingerly opening the throttle trying not to highside himself

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 06-Jun-2006, 13:55
Montjuic

Mood: Garage is getting too small....
Thumbs up

Quote:

No worries SR, I do want to sell my 900ss sooner or later, it's just gathering dust at the moment, but I'll be sad when it goes.

My bike does have a lightened flywheel + newer lighter clutch; it's also go a Metmachex rear swing arm, uprated rear spring, and Baines modded forks plus a few carbon bits.

Anyway, if you don't find a nice SuperLight drop me a mail....but good luck searching...