Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Oct-2006, 20:08   #1
Montjuic

Has my spring sprung?
I've just had a bit of a "WTF?!" moment out in the garage... a few weeks back I was out for a run. The clutch started to play up - having trouble engaging and disengaging. This was the first time that it had played up, but then, I only bought it less than 500 miles ago..

The problem seemed to get worse as I progressed, but generally, I only use the clutch on downshifts, it worked perfectly at least half of the time

Anyway - after doing some research, I figured it would be either the seals or the pressure plate bearing. I ordered both from a dealer, and tonight, armed with a printout from the parts manual (thanks Jasper ), and this article, I disassembled the slave cylinder with the intention of replacing the seals.

It all came apart quite easily, but it dawned on me that there was something not right.. both the parts sheet and the article indicated that there ought to be a spring in there - there wasn't in my one.

What is the function of this spring? - is it necessary? - to my (largely mechanically inept) mind, if it's pushing against the piston, then it's there to reduce the effort required to disengage the clutch plates.

Should it really be in there? does it perform some other function that may have contributed to my problem.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 30-Oct-2006, 20:17   #2
GTL

Hi, It keeps the slave cylinder piston in touch with the clutch pushrod. And yes it's needed.
Steve Robins s.w.
Old 30-Oct-2006, 20:25   #3
Montjuic

Gotcha - okay thanks Steve - I'll be on the phone to my dealer tomorrow morning.

I can only imagine why it's not there