Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Mar-2006, 11:56
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Adjustable \'jota\' bars

I picked up a set of adjustable 'jota' bars at the scottish bike show, not the neatest things I've ever seen but relatively cheap compared with other options so worth a try I thought.
On getting them home I realised ; comparing them to the standard bars on my S2R that they were a narrower diametre.
It was only then I also noticed that the gold master cylinders I've sourced to replace the coffin ones actually fit onto the narrow bars which means that all of the switchgear and grips etc. will be a different fit.
I'm going to try and swap the 7/8ths bars for the 1" ones (I think that might be the correct size....anyone?) but the thought of redoing the whole bar assembly has made me wonder whether its worth doing now. That'll teach me to sleepwalk into doing mods!
I have two options I suppose, install the narrow bars with new throttle assembly ,switchgear, masters etc., or, try the thicker ones and keep all of the existing handlebar furniture.
Bugger!!! doesnt quite sum it up for me at the moment.
Old 14-Mar-2006, 11:46
500SD

Ah assumptions are never wise!
It seems the only fat bit of the bar is the middle where it clamps to the top yoke, it might be possible to make something to shim it out.
What would I use and whats the best way to do it?

BTW, no-one seems to look in this section,monsters not popular with the Dsc?
Old 14-Mar-2006, 19:37
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Hehe it is a bit quiet

I look at the american site a lot well funny

Cant help u with the bars I much pefere the standard bars
Old 14-Mar-2006, 19:49
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I reckon you'd be better off ditching those narrow ones and going with right size ones.

Any kind of shimming of bar mounts can't be the best way of securing them ???

Tim
Old 14-Mar-2006, 20:17
500SD

You might be right Rattler, but at £60 these seem to me to be a good way of trying out different positions of bars without buying a couple of different sets and breaking the bank in the process.And I've never seen any other bars like these apart fron the fixed ones you can buy in the US and they come in at around £150.
Even if I use these to try out a position and take it to a machinist and weld up a set to the same geometry its worth a try.
At some time in the future I might try clips ons, having ridden the 916 for years the low bars wont bother me but they all seem a bit pricey for a whim that may not last.