Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Mar-2005, 22:17
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
Simon, to answer your questions:

1 she's got 40,000 miles showing.
2 I live near Durham in the North East of England, but I don't mind travelling for good service.
3 I've just fitted 207 RR's + new carbon lorraine sbk pads (the discs are fine).
4 bodywork ain't too bad although I didn't realise there were so many fasteners holding the damned thing together !!!
cheers

Neil
Old 22-Mar-2005, 22:39
Montjuic

Mood: SP4 is back
Ducati John in Leeds is an excellent mechanic, who runs an 851, used to spanner for a BSB team, very reasonable prices, or better still if you could get the bike down to Cornersped near Nottingham they are the business.
The lad who runs that set up is well known to make Dukes sing!

I have just got an 888 which is essentially the same as yours and it has cost me just shy of a grand to grand it sorted, that includes tyres and a full suspension rebuild so you should be looking at around 5-600 quid to get it sorted. It will be the best money you ever spent!

Simon
Old 23-Mar-2005, 00:02
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Hi neil851

Simons right about a £1000 for a total overhaul mines getting one now and its going to hit that very soon.
new sprag and 48tooth clutch FIM chip 13 tooth front sprocket and chain resprung forks and rear shock/head and wheel bearings and a general tidy up.
good luck with the bike and enjoy one of the best kept secrets in the bike world.
ian
Old 23-Mar-2005, 00:09
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Hi Neil

Welcome to the best kept secret of the DSC forum !!

You wont go far wrong with ducati John - hes a very knowledgeable and helpful guy.

Youll be wanting to spend a few quid really as the lads have said, but it will be worth it - trust us !!! A well sorted 851/888 is a very rewarding experience !!!

Look forward to catching up soon..dont be afraid to ask any questions - as Rob says..were all a bit keen in here !!!

Cheers
Nat
Old 23-Mar-2005, 00:12
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
ducati john huh ?? Ok I'll get in touch & see how busy the guy is, thanks for the response guys - I just knew there'd be plenty of knowledge out there.
cheers

Neil
Old 23-Mar-2005, 00:21
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Neil851
Natty's right just ask away
personely i try to do as much as i can on my bikes which leaves money for bling.
Im no BSB mechanic more Reg Prescot of the bike world but I will attempt anything with a manual and a digital camera.
only leave major headaces like belts and shims to others.
Nelly and Shazam and all have been extremley helpfull with advice and parts suppliers.
would never have attempted any of this without them.
ian
Old 23-Mar-2005, 09:22

Hi Neil, welcome to the world of ducati

For servicing at a reasonable cost try D.I.T motorcycles in Washington, Tyne & Wear.(0191 4172707) The owner Darryl is a Ducati trained mechanic and knows his stuff, loves his dukes. he has serviced all my previous dukes over the last 10 years with no problems.
Mention "Cleggy" gave you his number and he will sort a good deal out for you.

I also have a H reg 851, i'm also a Neal and live in the North East, Spooky

Enjoy it

[Edited on 23-3-2005 by cleggy666]
Old 23-Mar-2005, 14:40
GTL

Niel

Welcome - fine choice of bike. As others have said, there's a wealth of knowedge on this board.

Andrew
Old 23-Mar-2005, 14:56
Mille

Double, treble spooky Neil and Neal as I'm also a Neil and live in the Durham area with an 851.......which is currently in at DIT! Good guy Daryl, seems to know his onions!
Old 23-Mar-2005, 17:25
500SD

Wahey! Another north easterner on the board. If we're not careful we'll have almost enough local 851/888 owners for a ride out somewhere. Scary!

Anyway, welcome Neil. I was in your neck of the woods only the other day (Sat). The hills above Stanhope were bathed in sunshine all day, and my 888 just luuurved its first decent outing of the year. Didn't take my camera this time, but here she is @ the same place last year taking a breather..

(Cleggy - Ta for the info on D.I.T motorcycles. Didn't know about him, even though he's just up the road. He has to be a better bet than M&S!)

Steve