Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Jun-2004, 12:47
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
999 throttle movement

Going on from the thread 999s stalling, in relation to the vague throttle feel, i am looking for a comparison between the 999 twin cable rotation and feel and the 998 single cable.

I have to say i dont recollect my 998 needing two grips of the throttle in the riding position to achieve full throttle.

With a protractor i think there is over 90 degrees of rotation on the 999 std throttle. D/P do a Corse quickaction upgrade, so what does that tell us. Im also told this is very expensive.

Ill try to get a comparison from one of the 998 boys.

The genuine products are available from a 998 testastretta to convert the 999 to a single cable........which hopefully is less rotation.
Old 29-Jun-2004, 15:04
500SD

Andy,

All the single cable type throttles (748,916.996,998) have 63-65 deg rotation, 999 is 94-95 deg rotation. Both the above figures give 36mm of cable pull, the max for wide open throttle on a Duc.

Incidently, if you're looking at fitting a single cable type to your 999, Ducati original throttles are made by Domino. Widely available and a lot less expensive than buying the same part from a Duc dealer.

Hope that helps,

Neil.
Old 29-Jun-2004, 22:03
BSB Star

cheers mate, domino as in pizza? where would i go for that?
Old 29-Jun-2004, 22:37
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I did a quick search and found this

http://www.redracingparts.com/en/english.htm

Then look for quick gas controls

Now which one is the right one
Old 30-Jun-2004, 13:42
500SD

Andy,

You could give these guys a try - BVM Moto. I don't know if they actually have the one as used by Ducati in stock but you can get the specs and part numbers off the Red Racing Parts website so being a Domino dealer they should be able to get one in for you. Might work out a bit cheaper than buying from Italy. Having said that, apparently Red Racing Parts are very good with excellent delivery service.

Cheers, Neil

[Edited on 30-6-2004 by neil748r]
Old 30-Jun-2004, 14:36
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Just got my bike back from the dealers (999S) after its first service and having also had the throttle body changed for a 998 single cable type. Have to say in ythe short time I have had it back to assess the improvement it feels a million times better than the stock item with a good deal less rotation and much more responsive just as I remember my 998 being. It wasnt really that expensive either and it makes the whole experience of riding the bike especially at low revs much much nicer. If anyone wants more info then contact Pro Twins who have successfully done this mod to several other customers bikes including their track 999S which has been whooping the a@@ off several others of late at the UK circuits.
Old 30-Jun-2004, 22:59
BSB Star

Rod, could you get the part numbers required for the mod?
Old 30-Jun-2004, 23:01
BSB Star

oh and any piccies of your bike mods, both the position of the cable exit re the m/cylinder, and the bracket used on the t/body end?
Old 01-Jul-2004, 11:24
Mille

Red Racing told me yesterday that they do not sell a direct replacement quick action throttle for the 999
Old 02-Jul-2004, 13:54
BSB Star

Been to jhp today, and ran it by the guru. Seems that its not impossible, (as rod has shown) however concerns were raised re the poss of the throttle being forced to stay open with the volume of air, hence thats why theres a return cable.
However, this could poss be eliviated with return springs from a 998R, as that still has a single cable throttle.

On their race bike, they have a gucci billeted Corse item. John is saying that the sum parts for this have to be ordered seperately = around £200-£250 + labour!! Although this is quick action and retains twin cable.

Therefore there has to be an attraction of achieving quick action throttle using single cable (998r) on the 999.

Still found out that the monster throttle is same as 998 except the cable exits low below the m/cylinder, ideal for 999 set up.

The quest continues.... It would be nice to know what others like pro twins have done/used to achieve this......