Ducati Sporting Club UK
DSC & Ducati Events
Local, national & worldwide Ducati related event notices

Old 05-Mar-2012, 09:49
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

WDW2012 / Euro Touring: Advice welcome

Its been a VERY long time since I rode in Europe and my 'to do' list just seems to be getting longer instead of shorter at the moment...

So, any hints or tips from anyone used to recent Euro-touring are very welcome.

Plan so far is, Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry, 3 days to Italy, WDW then 2 days back to Amsterdam for the return home (not looking forward to the return I must admit!!!).

On a personal level, my Insurance is with Carole Nash so I'm hoping Euro breakdown cover will be sorted, I asked ADAC in Germany about personal insurance to cover biking in Europe.

Thanks in advance - Frank
Old 08-Mar-2012, 22:12
Mille

I travel to Europe alot and to be honest you don't really need to prepare much differently to what you would do for a stay away trip in the UK. However one thing that you must do is carry your driving licence, log book and insurance with you in case you are stopped by the police (i have been several times and they really do look closely at them!).

Some petrol stations are pay at pump only and only take credit cards. Some 'manned' ones don't open at all on Sundays or bank holidays.

Regarding personal health insurance, some (many) policys DO NOT cover personal injury caused in an accident when you were riding a motorcycle over 125cc. This is detailed in the small print, so you MUST specifically ask if the policy will cover you on your bike. I use Endsleigh who do provide the required level of cover.

Make sure you get all the maps you need before you go and don't rely on the ferry having them all!

HTH

Cheers
Simon
Old 09-Mar-2012, 11:02
WSB Hero

Good tips - thanks Simon.

I looking at personal insurance via ADAC in Germany but have not heard back from them yet.

Euro health card arrived then other day as I've not needed one or many years

I'm looking at getting a smartphone to run something like Copilot but guess I'll need a good small map of Europe as a backup - good point.

Thanks again - Frank
Old 09-Mar-2012, 13:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Frank

Drive on the right hand side of the road is always a good tip for Europe.

Seriously if you haven't driven in Europe for a while it's easy to mistakenly drive on the wrong side of the road at times like first thing in the morning, if you've just stopped for petrol, or even when negotiating some strange road junction, or if you've had 10 pints of local ale. Obviously the last one is a joke.

If in doubt think twice, or even put a sticker by your ignition key to remind you "drive on the right"

I've done loads of miles in Europe (over a 100 trips) on bikes and in cars/vans and have still had the "which side of the road" moments, more so on a bike than in a car.
Old 09-Mar-2012, 20:31
WSB Hero

Cheer marra,

Becoming complacent and ending up on the 'wrong' side of the road did happen to me in the past. So it is a very valid worry.

My cockpit is going to be a pretty crowded place so I was thinking of something simple like some red ribbon tied on a mirror stem but any ideas are very welcome.
Old 09-Mar-2012, 21:11
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
Good tips - thanks Simon.

I'm looking at getting a smartphone to run something like Copilot but guess I'll need a good small map of Europe as a backup - good point.

Thanks again - Frank

Roaming costs on mobile phones for data are astronomical! Avoid this unless its an emergency would be my advice.

This is a great place to get maps http://www.stanfords.co.uk/?gclid=CP...FaImtAodz2dPWg

simon
Old 11-Mar-2012, 02:01
WSB Hero

Thanks yet again Simon, map link was very good and I've ordered myself a small scale waterproof map of Europe as a backup.

Likewise Endsleigh insurance have a very easy to use website, I'm not sure if this is allowed but I generated a quote for 4 riders all on the same quote. Should each rider really have their own policy? I guess 4 adults in a car would be a greater risk??

Smartphone / Satnav, HTC HD2 phone now bought with Copilot8 installed, it actually runs the maps without a data connection, the maps are all on an SDcard, it only uses a data feed when told to get local info and live traffic updates.

Thats how I'm TOLD it works anyways, time will tell.

Thanks again - Frank
Old 11-Mar-2012, 21:49
Mille

Quote:
Likewise Endsleigh insurance have a very easy to use website, I'm not sure if this is allowed but I generated a quote for 4 riders all on the same quote. Should each rider really have their own policy? I guess 4 adults in a car would be a greater risk??
No idea :-)

Quote:
Smartphone / Satnav, HTC HD2 phone now bought with Copilot8 installed, it actually runs the maps without a data connection, the maps are all on an SDcard, it only uses a data feed when told to get local info and live traffic updates.

But unless you have the GPS connection the map cannot resolve where you are for navigation purposes.

Cheers
Simon
Old 12-Mar-2012, 22:47
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Bumper year for snow on the passes this winter.

If your are going over the tops check your route or be prepared to change it at the road closed signs.

You can get snowed on even in early summer.

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0008 (Small).JPG (36.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 13-Mar-2012, 13:45
WSB Hero

Cheers Ray,

You make me feel like a wimp already, comfy ST4s, topbox & soon to be hammered into place, panniers and tankbag but i need my creature comforts ;-)