Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Apr-2005, 00:19
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
999 plate bracket

Hi Guys, any suggestions for a simple hassle-free aftermarket plate bracket less "invasive" of the std ones?? I want to use the std plate size, as I don want any police trouble (I guess if they stop me..it will not be for that!!) ...
Suggestions, websites or shops??
Thanks
Brogins

[Edited on 4-4-2005 by Brogins]
Old 05-Apr-2005, 00:27
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Speak to Nelly at Cornerspeed ...he'll sort youout with a gucci Evoluzione plate relocator.
Andy
Old 05-Apr-2005, 00:54
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
Try www.ducati9.net website,they do a nifty cross shaped holder,its less likely to let your plate snap.No provision for a no. plate lite though,although towsure do one for about £2.00.
Also try www.malplates.co.uk who make flexible number plates

[Edited on 5-4-2005 by block42]
Old 05-Apr-2005, 09:27

I have just taken the original plate holder off the bike and then bolted the plate onto the three mounting points that the plate holder attaches to. You lose the number plate light, but you can replace the blanking plate that rests below the tail light with the clear lens from the number plate light which leaves it looking as if the number plate bulb has just blown. If you are using a standard size plate, or a 8x6 (which I am) this tidies up the rear enough without butchering the bike and keeps it looking original so if you are stopped it looks unmodified. It also leave the plate mounted much more securely than the original arrangement, it does not vibrate and look as if it is about to fall off to those behind you.
Old 05-Apr-2005, 09:49
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Gareth - It's a piece of **** to rewire the licence plate light up into the upper moulded section. You can use one connector from the lower assembly and make up another out of a electrical crimp fitting that holds the other end of the bulb as both original don't fit into the upper moulding.

Be careful with the Casoli / Evolutzione unit as the upper mounting bracket can break. I made one up out of brass and will post a pic soon. Here's a pic from the rear that I took earlier
Old 05-Apr-2005, 10:31
Mille

Mood: bleedin ecstatic!
I put the Motrax unit on mine on the weekend. Very little bar that just holds the top in place. 'Apparentely' it doesnt shake about but im gonna trim the bottom of the plate off (leaving a legal 1 inch) as its only held on with the top bits.
Fairly simple to install and cheap. Apart from drilling the bulb placement. If your gonna do it, u2u me and ill tell you how. Wish id have known earlier, wouldve saved lots of faffin...
Old 05-Apr-2005, 10:54
Mille

Mood: Need spares
I've fitted the plate relocator kit from spareshack ( I believe its the rsend one) Pretty simple to do but you loose the plate light from the standard bracket. They supply you with an additional bulb and holder to fit, but I noticed in the rear light unit there is a space for a plate bulb. The rear light unit has a blank plate in it which can be swapped with the clear plate from the original plate light unit. It looks as though it was designed to use a festune (spelling?) type bulb, but instead I inserted a small piece of circuit board and a couple of LED's on it. A much neater solution.

However this weekend I've managed to lose my reflector and bend the reflector bracket, must have bottomed out the suspension at some point.
Old 07-Apr-2005, 12:41
500SD

Mood: PENSO POSITIVO....SEMPRE!!
thanks Guys.. good food for thoughts... I like Sbwells solution even with a no-std plate.. cool

By the way, is the red plastic rectangular under the original plate mandatory to be legal??? ...it is installed also in the sbwell's plate picture...
Old 07-Apr-2005, 14:13
500SD

You're supposed to have the reflector but in practice it would only be a problem for the MOT... and maybe if a sharp eyed plod has stopped you for something else like a small plate...

btw Sonic/Trickz, get yourself a spare plate now. You will lose one in the next six months with that Rsend style tail tidy.
Old 07-Apr-2005, 14:35
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Brogins
thanks Guys.. good food for thoughts... I like Sbwells solution even with a no-std plate.. cool

By the way, is the red plastic rectangular under the original plate mandatory to be legal??? ...it is installed also in the sbwell's plate picture...

Keep in mind Brogins, that sbwells is in New Zealand so the rules are bound to be different.