Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Sep-2005, 12:46

999 speedo accuracy

Out of interest, how accurate (or not) is the 999 speedo?

Am suffereing from speed trap paranoia after an encounter this weekend...
Old 27-Sep-2005, 12:50
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
about 8% out.

if you want to check yours fairly accurately use your lap timer to 'calibrate' it. the lap timer is meant to be a true reading.

so you can go along do a top speed on your speedo of say 100 then look at you lap timer back at home and see what your real speed was.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 12:57
Big Twin

That seems odd, wouldn't they use the same reading for both lap timer and speedo, unless the speedo was deliberately altered to misread?
Old 27-Sep-2005, 13:11
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
the speedo is set to read 8% high, the lap timer will show the 'true' speed. it is in the owners manual. of course the 'true' speed could be off. a couple of magazines reported that the lap timer reading was very accurate (compared to GPS)
Old 27-Sep-2005, 13:44

A further attempt to answer my own question... Just had a look at the manual and the 8% over read seems to apply to the rev counter reading...

I presume the timer is purely that - a measure of the time to do a circuit and arrive back at the same point?

The manual does say the fastest speed per lap is indicated for up to 19 laps, but presumably that is subject to the over read set up of the speedo?

Also been grovelling in the loft and found a Bike rodtest of a 999 & 748 where actual speed at 70mph seems to be an actual 65-66 and 100mph around 92-95mph - about the 8% dickieducati mentions..

keep those answers coming...
Old 27-Sep-2005, 13:55
Big Twin

I have a GPS laser/ mobile speed camera detector fitted to my bike and at a true 30 mph on the gps unit the Ducati speedo is reading 32/33 mph.

When the speed picks up I would say that the Ducati speedo reads about 5-7 mph over the true speed.

So at a true 70 mph the Ducati speedo will be showing about 75mph
Old 27-Sep-2005, 13:58

what detector is it? was it an easy fit?
Old 27-Sep-2005, 14:04
Big Twin

It is a Snooper S4 Neo and it fits on to the underside of my screen on a rubber suction cup bracket no problem and does not obstruct the speedo in any way. I also have a bracket for my car so it is an easy swap over.

I had a pair of custom made earplugs made at a bike show which I use on airplanes , with my MP3 player and with the Snooper which talks to you and warns of any danger. I swear by it.

Cost about £270 from radars direct but I think you can get them cheaper now, I know Costco had an offer on a while back for £189.99 + vat but I believe the offer has ended.
Old 27-Sep-2005, 14:09
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
not quite, i know the manual says the tachometer is what over reads, but it is the indicated speed on the lcd that is 8% higher. the revs are correct. the max speed (per lap) on the lap counter does does not have the 8% increase.

from what i understand the max speed recorded on the lap timer is fairly accurate when compared to GPS. what is shown on the speedo is deliberately high (as nearly all speedo are)
Old 27-Sep-2005, 14:27
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by electricsheep
not quite, i know the manual says the tachometer is what over reads, but it is the indicated speed on the lcd that is 8% higher. the revs are correct. the max speed (per lap) on the lap counter does does not have the 8% increase.

from what i understand the max speed recorded on the lap timer is fairly accurate when compared to GPS. what is shown on the speedo is deliberately high (as nearly all speedo are)

I gues your GSXR is 30% off, that's why you think it's so quick

J/k