Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Aug-2009, 17:22   #1

916 Running Rough
Hi Can anyone help?
I own a 1995 Ducati 916 Biposta which has started to run a little rough, basically I had every electrical problem known to mankind which in the end resulted in me purchasing new regulator / rectifier and ECU as the old ECU kept blowing eprom chips. Anyway the new ECU has my standard chip installed even though I have 40mm Termi's fitted, I was informed by a Ducati expert that this would be ok? Anyway the acid question is, do I need to get the correct one? If so where from and where's best to go?

The current problem is the bike seems like it's ticking over too slow and needs revving as it won't idle for long without stalling

Any help is much appreciated

Martin
Old 17-Aug-2009, 21:37   #2
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

When you change chips you often have to make a minor adjustment to the CO trimmer to get it to idle properly.

1.6M ECUs (748/916 Biposto/ST2)

On these ECUs the trimmer is located inside the ECU and the rubber bung must be removed for access.

Next to the chip socket there's a very small (1/4" square) trimmer potentiometer. This has the same function as the external trimmer screw on P7 and P8 ECUs. The trimmer on the 1.6M ECU has a range of about 3/4 turn, or 270 degrees. When you hit the end stop, STOP ! There is no roll-over on these trimmers and they will break if you try to force them.

When you screw the adjuster clockwise the mixture is leaned. To set the default position, simply set the trimmer in it's mid-rotation point. You can also use a voltmeter to set the 2.5 volt point.

Setup

1/ turn it clockwise until it stumbles. remember the position - lean end.

2/ turn it anti-clockwise until it stumbles again. remember the position - rich end.

3/ turn the trimmer back clockwise until about 1/3 of the distance between the two stumble points from the lean end.

This usually ends up at about 4% CO all the times i've done it and checked it. If you don't get a stumble point, there's not much you can do. Wind the airbleeds in if there's no rich stumble point, out if there's no lean stumble point.
Old 17-Aug-2009, 22:47   #3

If I do this will it mean I will be ok with the standard eprom chip?
Old 18-Aug-2009, 06:09   #4
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Probably.

When you simply replace the stock exhaust cans with aftermarket slip-ons you'll get the sound of a performance bike instead of the exhaust noise mandated by the government. Also, carbon fiber and titanium cans will save quite a bit of weight (so take a rear ride height reading before the change so you can reset it after.)

You'll also get a slight reduction in exhaust gas back pressure so the engine doesn't have as much parasitic power loss when moving the exhaust out the pipes. You'll gain one or two horsepower, that's it. I may be overstating the case a bit here but the truth is that exhaust alone is seldom a bottleneck in power production. Generally speaking, the air intake side is more of a concern. If you can get more air into an engine it's a trivial issue to supply more fuel and consequently make more power.

The stock fuel map on the chip or EMU supplied by Ducati is designed to provide good fuel economy and good power delivery across the rpm range (i.e. no big mid-range power dips) while still meeting EPA-mandated exhaust emission limits.

In other words, the manufacturer's main priorities aren't the same as the owner's. Ducati's Eprom's fuel and ignition maps are compromised to meet specific noise and emissions standards, yet produce good fuel economy and accomodate variations in engine tune and exhaust systems with a margin of safety. So, you might say that they are de-tuned slightly. As owners, we're mainly interested in two things: optimum power and acceleration, so what should we do?.

Aftermarket Eproms are developed to extract more wide open throttle power on a dyno at the sacrifice of good fuel ecomomy; so expect to burn about 20% more, and forget emissions. Sometimes this approach results in an undesireable mid-range power loss (where we do most of of our riding) so the red-line power improvement seems even more impressive to a seat-of-the pants dyno.

The truth of the matter is that most chips that are offered for aftermarket slip-ons (Ducati Performance chips included) simply increase fuel volume delivery by 3-5% across the rpm range.

If you want a better result than that you first need to get your bike tuned properly (including getting the cam timing set) and then, and only then, use a programable chip or Power Commander and a dyno. Bring money.
Old 18-Aug-2009, 11:17   #5

Hi, I'm a newbie here (but not new to Ducati's).
If you're just looking for a new chip try VE UK as they are having a clear out of bike stuff (they are more of a scooter goodies importer).
Search for VE UK and then use their menu system (click the VE logo twice to enter), choose the third option along the bottom (Parts/Prices) then it will ask you to select either part number or select from list. Simply follow the prompts; Motorcycle, Ducati, Clutch or Exhaust (they also have clutch kits)and you'll end up on the page that says they have ECU chips for £20 (brand new).
I'm pretty sure these are for open pipes (Gianelli, but will suit any open pipes) but once you're on the right page and have the part number, you can always ring them to confirm.
Any problems, let me know. Cliff
Old 25-Aug-2009, 10:56   #6

Thanks for all the advice, have had the bike in my local garage a non ducati one but a very competant mechanic, he has cleaned lots of things set up the throttle idle etc and the bike appears ok but the caveat is he advised me it is running rich and needs to go on the dyno! All well and good but I don't live anywhere near one, can I get round this with power commander? Or will it need to go on dyno?
Old 25-Aug-2009, 18:41   #7
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Watch the color of the tailpipes, they should be grey to dark grey, not a too-rich sooty black. When was the last time you cleaned or replaced your air filters?
Old 25-Aug-2009, 19:55   #8

They are black sooty! I replaced air filters last year only 1000 miles back