Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Aug-2009, 17:26   #1
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Right Hand Side Heat Problem around brake master cyl
I have noticed that my rear brake was failing on track days after a while. I noticed that if I touch the rear master brake cylnder it is too hot to touch. So probally boiling the fluid. Makes sence. But after a spin last night and not using the rear brake at all when I got home the whole area around the lower right hand side where the two pipe bend in is VERY HOT. Even the brake lever is to hot to touch, the clutch case is hot, even the right hand start of the foor peg is too hot. ???
Anyone had this problem, I can not see the pipes touching anything to conduct the heat from the pipes ??

Craig
Old 20-Aug-2009, 18:47   #2
Bevel Head
Bikes: ex1098, ex748s,ex 999s, now 916 SP3

Yes, my 999 did the very same yesterday on the way to work. Everything too hot to touch and by lunchtime when I was next able to check the back brake it was useless!
Old 20-Aug-2009, 19:01   #3
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
could it be binding on, the brake that is, and trsnferring the heat up? I think Daves did this on his SS just before his back brake caught fire!!
Old 20-Aug-2009, 19:11   #4
Ducati Meccanica

No, first thing I checked, after a blat it always go's straight onto the paddock stand and the rear wheel still always spins freely. So not binding..?

Craig
Old 20-Aug-2009, 19:30   #5
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte666
I have noticed that my rear brake was failing on track days after a while. I noticed that if I touch the rear master brake cylnder it is too hot to touch. So probally boiling the fluid. Makes sence. But after a spin last night and not using the rear brake at all when I got home the whole area around the lower right hand side where the two pipe bend in is VERY HOT. Even the brake lever is to hot to touch, the clutch case is hot, even the right hand start of the foor peg is too hot. ???
Anyone had this problem, I can not see the pipes touching anything to conduct the heat from the pipes ??

Craig

It gets warm anayway because the master cyclinder is mounted on the engine cases.

It is made worse by having a full fairing on an air-cooled bike.

Are you sure you aren't slightly dragging the brake with your foot?

Lastly...what are you using your rear brake for? If you're braking hard enough with the front then the rear is pretty much useless anyway because there is no weight over the rear wheel to get any traction. I have never used mine in a race either wet or dry. It's for scrutineering only

Edit: My brake lever and my swinging arm on both my road and race 800ss bikes get very hot. If you are getting severe fade it will likely be caused by air/water vapour in the hydraulic fluid. Bleeding the rear brake can be a right tw*t of a job at times.

Last edited by twpd : 20-Aug-2009 at 19:37.
Old 20-Aug-2009, 22:51   #6
MotoGP God

twpd - this is his road 996, not the race bike (I think!!)
Old 20-Aug-2009, 23:12   #7
Ducati Meccanica

Indeed, its my road 996, It getting VERY hot road or track. I know I'm not trailing the back brake as the rear brake disc is stone cold.
If I turn my attention away from the rear brake M/C also the right foot peg has high heat at the bas of it.

Craig
Old 20-Aug-2009, 23:31   #8
MotoGP God

could it be that one of the pots its overheating, making that sides exhaust overheat??
Old 20-Aug-2009, 23:38   #9
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
As I said...the brake master cylinder gets hot - it's mounted on the engine and it will soak heat. Granted I thought it was his race bike cos he mentioned track, nonetheless, the cause is likely to be the same. Heat from the motor....if you have air or water vapour in hydraulic fluid then this will exacerbate the effects of the heat upon the fluid.

It is possible that the rear pot running hot might make it worse, but that much worse and you'd have pretty serious engine running probs tbh.
Old 20-Aug-2009, 23:55   #10
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
It is possible that the rear pot running hot might make it worse, but that much worse and you'd have pretty serious engine running probs tbh.

Hmmm, Yes that would make perfect sense to whats happening. It starts / runs fine. No spluttering or cutting out. Might pop every now and again. What should I look for if a pot engine is getting hot. PS: the enginge temp gauge is normal when running or idel. Get hot if left running stationry after a ride for a bit. Buts that normal and the fan kicks in.

Craig