Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Apr-2006, 19:32
Mille

dave, think this was the problem in my case as well. I changed the cable immediately and all the throttle assembly just to be sure.

From now on i'll make sure to keep the cable freeplay within standard limits..
Old 21-Apr-2006, 17:12
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisiball
It was about 1000 miles after my bike had been on its side the dreaded washing machine sound could be heard, and after strip down the left hand side main bearing was absolutely knackered, i believe Old Yella has had this happen also!

Yep, same as Chris but RHS.

Laid it down at Hall Bends and didnt turn it off straight away as I was looking to get back on and go but must have been horizontal for too long and burnt the bearings out, found lumps of the fibre bearing runner in the oil pump housing after it started knocking its tits off two weeks later
Old 21-Apr-2006, 20:23
Mille

I did only 200 km since then and it's still ok. I will wait for it to happen...

is there anything i can do to trace this (appart from stripping the engine) ?

What are the damaged parts after such an incident? and what are the costs?

regards
Old 21-Apr-2006, 22:40
Big Twin

You can drop the oil and check for bits of fibre bearing runner in it, you will know it when you see it, and also flakes of bearing and shell where they are being pummelled to bits, if the oils not that old and theres no bits in it then strain it to be sure and put it back in and buy a lottery ticket - in fact buy me one too , I used to change every 1500 miles anyway on the road or three trackdays on track.

Damage to me was the main bearings but while it was apart I replaced every bearing in the engine and gearbox, might as well while its apart I believe.

The full set of bearings aint cheap and neither is the head gasket set and seals as its worth replacing the seals/o-rings while its apart too.

If you do the work yourself it will be cheaper but if you have an expert to oversee the work then its easier than struggling like a gimp without the knowledge of how to do the squish and shim the crank and gearbox shafts.
The man knows who he is that I owe for this, big time!
Then theres the time off work, the lost income, it would probably work out cheaper to have the engine rebuilt by someone who knows what there doing AKA Cornerspeed if your near enough or any of the other shops that look after DSC members bikes and are recommended on here.

This is obviously worst case scenario, but from experience, Ducatis dont like running while there on their sides, sorry.
Old 24-Apr-2006, 00:19
Big Twin

Laid in a pile with the bike 20 yards away and a bang on the head dont help :P

And you cant spell either, its ****ed
Old 24-Apr-2006, 00:32
Ducati Meccanica

Had it happen to me once - in a race at Snetterton, no explanation, couldn't find a fault, never happened before or since.
Made the end of Revetts straight interesting I can tell you Couldn't locate the kill switch quick enough for my liking.
Old 29-Apr-2006, 23:08
Mille

Hi,

1000km after the fell on the right side i think the problems appeared.

After riding ~200km today at speeds ~150-200kmh i have 2 problems:

1. After 2-3 km at 200+ kmh the clutch lever went completely dead. I had to pump it a couple of times to make it functional. After riding for a few more km it went again dead. I had to stop ena bleed it. Put some more fluid, and the lever started operating as normal. 10 more kilometers later it went dead again (releases only very close to handlebar). What could it be?

2. while aproaching home and riding at slow speeds because of the clutch thing i heard a rattling sound coming from left/bellow the tank while accelerating. I stopped and revved it at idle, but i could hear the sound any more. It can be heard only while riding and only when accelerating. I can compare the sound to the one of the sewing machine... Is it the bearings??

The oil pressure light didn't lit up yet...

HELP
Old 30-Apr-2006, 00:00
Big Twin

Sounds like the slave cylender is leaking mate !

As for engine noise I have no idea !!!!
Old 30-Apr-2006, 11:24
Mille

Cylinder is not leaking, i checked it. Also i have the newer model type of cylinder.

Still no answer on the noise thing... HELP
Old 01-May-2006, 22:02
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
doesnt sound good mate, its a common problem on most bikes

a mate dropped his r6 leaving a pub car park ( sober i add ) and sat on the floor laughing ( we all joined in ) he picked it up and carried on. 200 ,iles later his bottom end went whilst cruising on a dual carriageway, he wasnt laughing then

hope you get it sorted,wheres your nearest ducati dealer and how bigs your credit card