Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 01-Jun-2009, 02:23
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
fuel tank soldering/brazing - near Reading/Berkshire

Hi all,

As I was saying in another topic, my SS fuel tank is leaking around the hinge area. Since Ducati is not replacing it with a new tank (although they did offer a new tank but at cost price - still expensive ), I'll need to repair the tank myself.

I've read a few stuff about POR 15 so I'll probably use that inside the tank. However, I want to make sure that the outside is good too. I don't want to weld the tank. I've been told that soldering/brazing is better so I'm looking for a place where I can take my tank for them to do the work.

Any suggestions about workshops/garages where I can do that?

Thanks!

Old 01-Jun-2009, 11:09
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
I have a guy I use who is an expert at welding (ok they silver solder or braise them with a TIG welder) up tanks, needless to say we have done a few off my old singles and the one off my Diana is in there at the moment.

I have used POR 15 on my 750 GT roundcase tank, with good sucess, but it only had one tiny pin hole, I dont think it will do the kind of leak that you are talking about in a stressed area.

He is based near East Grinstead, but I do come over to reading from time to time, so I am sure we can sort something out. Drop me a PM and lets see what we can do.

Chris