Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Nov-2004, 11:16
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by beancounter
So let me get this straight.....

There are only two individuals in the whole of the UK who can be trusted to work on Ducatis - Nelly at Cornerspeed and, of course, Lord Hackett of Coventry.

Get real ! this isn't rocket science, these are relatively simple v-twin motorcycles, and most of the time we are talking about routine servicing, not race-tuning to the nth degree (where the talents of Mr. Hackett could possibly be justified).

This "I only trust so and so to work on my pride and joy" is just the kind of product snobbery that gets Ducati owners a bad name with other bike people.

Mate, I don't know you from a bar of soap but no-one said anything of the sort. If you took a step back there are other people on here who use other places. I happen to use Cornerspeed for servicing etc even though he is over 150 miles from me. For lots of reasons:
1. Reasonably priced
2. He's a good bloke (this counts for a lot for me)
3. Gives a lot to members of the club in the way of free advice and helpful hints
4. Get to meet the majority of the Notts crew when you're up ther eand whoever else happens to be around
5. Goes out of his way, beyond the call, to help people out when they need it AND doesn't then try to take advantage of the situation

But thats my choice isn't it? Not for you to criticise. If you don't want to use him then don't.

I've also used Sigma Performance who is in Kent and the work Neil Spalding did transformed my bike. Would highly recommend him but it's horses for courses .. so use whoever you want.
Old 11-Nov-2004, 11:20

Mood: I want my 748 back
Thanks for that beancounter. I dont want to travel half way down the country just to get a bike sorted ducati or not. I just wanted to know someone that is good at what they do and wont take my eyes out when it comes to paying the bill. routine servicing i will be doing myself, its more the likes of getting it set up and electrical gubbins that i dont like tackle.

well i get the old girl back today. the problem was a download problem something to do with the coil and igniter.
Old 11-Nov-2004, 11:22
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Good luck drunkinvegas, hope you are back on the road soon !
Old 11-Nov-2004, 11:37
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
I've also used Sigma Performance who is in Kent and the work Neil Spalding did transformed my bike.

shame he couldnt transform your riding too.

no i agree with you tony, use who you want but without question some people are better than others and although i havnt used him myself nelly does come very well regarded on here. if you have confidence in the person doing the work stick with them.

for me i havnt found someone who i can say hand on heart i trust them with my bike and that is after 5 years with ducati's. im taking mine up to jhp in dec for the first time. if they are as good as people say they are then it will be well worth the trip imho.
Old 11-Nov-2004, 11:48
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
I've also used Sigma Performance who is in Kent and the work Neil Spalding did transformed my bike.

shame he couldnt transform your riding too.

No that was Andy Ibbott via Il Duce, I think I'm the only club member to pay for the Il Duce to transform their riding.

You'll see
Old 11-Nov-2004, 11:53
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
oooooooooooh.....gauntlet being thrown down ????
Old 11-Nov-2004, 12:36
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
So let me get this straight.....

There are only two individuals in the whole of the UK who can be trusted to work on Ducatis - Nelly at Cornerspeed and, of course, Lord Hackett of Coventry.

Get real ! this isn't rocket science, these are relatively simple v-twin motorcycles, and most of the time we are talking about routine servicing, not race-tuning to the nth degree (where the talents of Mr. Hackett could possibly be justified).

This "I only trust so and so to work on my pride and joy" is just the kind of product snobbery that gets Ducati owners a bad name with other bike people.

What the F***!!!

Beanbloke, I really wish I was like you... you know, never been ripped off, never had to get home and re-do all the work yourself, never had a dealer break your bike and deny it or tell you a porkie to cover his cockup, or charge you £50+ an hour only to have the apprentice do your bike....

Mate, you find someone you can trust, usually by recommendation, then you stick with what works. What's it got to do with snobbery?
Old 11-Nov-2004, 12:45
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
oooooooooooh.....gauntlet being thrown down ????

Not quite, I've still got two levels and a lot of track experience to go to catch up to you... and then pass you ...
Old 11-Nov-2004, 12:51
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

drunkinvegas wanted a recomendation for an independent in the north east, where he lives (read his subsequent post)

instead he got directed to nelly in nottingham (and please be clear, i'm not having any sort of go at cornerspeed here, great place)

there are lots of independents up and down the country doing great work on our bikes - no need to go to main dealers (I don't any more)

but the attitude that only so-and-so is worthy of working on my bike is widespread here and in my view (hopefully I'm entitled to one) is unnecessary.
Old 11-Nov-2004, 13:00
MotoGP God

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

drunkinvegas wanted a recomendation for an independent in the north east, where he lives (read his subsequent post)

instead he got directed to nelly in nottingham (and please be clear, i'm not having any sort of go at cornerspeed here, great place)

there are lots of independents up and down the country doing great work on our bikes - no need to go to main dealers (I don't any more)

but the attitude that only so-and-so is worthy of working on my bike is widespread here and in my view (hopefully I'm entitled to one) is unnecessary.

Have a look around the board a bit more and you'll see that while some people will only go to Cornerspeed for servicing others will go to places like Pro Twins etc .. I think you were quick to jump to that conclusion and quick to tell us to 'get real' without really knowing all the facts.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - it's only when people voice their own and you pop up telling them to 'get real'. If you respected everyone's right to have their opinion you could state your different opinion without having a pop at other peoples and thus avoid the ensuing debate.

So, I'm off to the pub for lunch with Dickie.

Enjoy

[Edited on 11-11-2004 by tp-996]