Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Nov-2006, 22:10
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmm...how long has it been since things like the throttle bodies were balanced etc..Sounds as if it's running rougher than it should.

My ST2 vibrates a bit more than my 4 valver, but not so much that it feels agricultural, in fact there's not much in it and my ST is really quite good at low speed. I do have a 14 tooth sprocket on it though.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 01-Nov-2006, 22:55
Big Twin

Well, 'agricultural' is a matter of perception. I'm confident the throttle bodies etc are fine. The sprockets have been tweaked, too.

To be honest, I'm not sure this is the bike for me. I've already managed to scratch the paint on the offside pannier *and* nearside mirror, getting it in and out of my back yard. This on Day One!

I fear it may be a bit too big and heavy for me.
Old 01-Nov-2006, 23:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
put my st2 up at the begining of summer
and now the grits out the 749 is going into hibernation
i'm really looking forward to getting back on the st
the grunt of that 2 valve engine is awsome and the ease of fast turning is a real joy
Old 02-Nov-2006, 05:15
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

do the ST2's have the adjustable headlight feature? I have no lighting problems with my 4, but perhaps the lighting is totally different.
Old 02-Nov-2006, 08:02
Big Twin

I'm pretty sure they're the same. Mad Dog. I'll get it sorted tomorrow.
Old 02-Nov-2006, 09:20
Ducati Corse

No gap means its got some serious ride height dialed in. I used to have a good 20mm gap but then Nelly altered it for me to almost no gap. The bike turned more quickly but i had a problem with seeing where i was going! I found i was looking over the top of my glasses and i also had too much weight on my wrists. I changed it so it was somewhere in between and its been fine since.
Old 02-Nov-2006, 14:01
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Moto748
Here's the link to the headlight guys in the States: http://ducatidesigns.com/

Never had any headlamp blubs blown.

Re your other comments - you should have got an ST4 or even better an ST4s - then you would already be in nirvana
Old 02-Nov-2006, 14:25
Big Twin

rockhopper> I'm sure you're right there about the ride height: I'll get it checked out.

Athelstan> Thanks for the link, but, as I said, it's a bit steep. If I had a more expensive ST4S that I was planning on keeping long-term, it might be a good idea. But I needed a cheap(ish) bike quick, and the ST2 was available. I'm sure it'll last me over the winter, although perhaps not beyond. We'll see.

I've ridden an ST4, years ago, but never an ST2 before.
Old 02-Nov-2006, 14:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Nah, have to disagree with Athelstan. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a well set up ST2.

Mine has carried me through 4 winters, done some big mileage ride outs keeping up with 'bigger' machines and set a quicker lap time around Cadwell park than an ST4S I borrowed.

Me and my mate Glyn both ride ST2's and absolutely love 'em for their low down grunt. We both ride 4 valve sportsbikes in the summer, I've got an 888 and Glyn has a 749S but as Glyn says ^^^^ up there, neither of us can wait to get back on the ST2. I recently took my ST2 to Cadwell for a track day and although it didn't behave itself (for one of the only times in years) and had an intermittent misfire that made it a liability on a damp track, I was staggered by the immediate grunt and quick throttle response it had. I'd forgotten about that since I last rode it. Fordie also rode it and reckoned that it picked up quicker than his 996

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 02-Nov-2006, 14:59
Mille

Sorry fella's you're all wrong ! The ST3 is the one you want..