Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 01-Oct-2009, 00:26
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Andys Pembrey Report - September 2009

Andys Pembrey Report

Pembrey was a bogey track for me in 2008 and I was determined to get to grips with it this year.

My good friend and 2007 series entrant sponsor Yeti (Aka Jon Lawson) had kept in touch and worked out that we needed 7th or higher in the next race to take the championship, due to us having gained wins or seconds at every round so far.

Saturday was spent bedding new tyres in and trying to get to grips with the track. And the only way I can do that, is to go steady then start attacking each corner at a time, until I find its limit, then move on. Slow, but it works for me. I ended up heading into the slip road at the exit of the left-hander as I pushed way too hard into it. It was also a good chance to have a look at how Harriet was riding the track as she’d took to it like me to water. We seemed to get a reasonable lap-time but I couldn’t monitor it as my lap-timer wasn’t registering online times.

Sunday came round and we were so nervous, we only had to finish the first race to wrap things up, but my method is always to go for the win, no matter what! Qualifying was a session of realising the grip available and watching peoples pace. 2nd behind Tim was fine on this occasion, especially as we’d tasted the flag-start method that was so unique at this circuit.

Race 1 came round too fast, it was 15mins early which caught us out, everyone else seemed to know, who told them? We rushed into action and I took my position. This was it! The most important race so far and I wanted to battle it out. Tim headed off and I tagged on. A couple of laps in I passed him into the first corner as it was an area we were strong, but he pushed his way pack passed which left me no-where to go but the grass. I bumped back onto the track and headed off after him shaking my head. I was now really determined to catch him. About half-way through the race and I was making ground and pushed really hard into the last turn onto the main straight to get a good run down it but we went over a bump which off-loaded the rear tyre and it let go. The rear slid for about 5mtrs, but it felt like 50 and once it bit, the bike tried to high-side and spit me off, but as im not exactly the lightest guy in the paddock, I managed to ride it like a mad cow and hoisted the machine straight. I glared at my team and mentor Cobby as I rode past the pit wall. That was very, very lucky…. It was time to ease off and take a safe second place knowing we’d achieved what we need to.

As I rode down the pit lane after the race my team were waiting with T-shirts saying 2009 champion! Wow, they’d had them done for me, wow, thanks guys! I did a celebratory burn-out, assisted by the expert Cleggy. When I took my helmet off, I couldn’t stop shaking & talking about the near high-side that that could’ve ended the race too early, sorry mum for swearing, adrenaline…

Race 2 came round even quicker, we were still adjusting the chain when everyone was on the line for the warm-up lap. I arrived very late, like Mr Bens Pies… This was gonna be a race to the flag… We got away with Tim and lost a little time but I started sweeping through the corners to keep the speed up, but as I pushed into the hairpin at turn-one I swept out too wide & braked on the dust which washed the front out, thud & down we went. Bugger! My first points race DNF this year. Oh well, at least the titles secure. Trace wasn’t too happy knowing we’d only a week to sort the bike before the Cadwell finale

Thanks to all my team, family and wife for their time this weekend. We were all absolutely shattered when we got home, it was such a long journey. Thanks to Dave (MLC Racing) for the excellent T-shirts, Craig for the loan generator and excellent pictures especially the ones with me wasting the champers, Cobby & Harriet for the advice and beer as we watched Simply Come Dancing in the lovely motor home, Tim for the kind words at the presentation and everyone for popping over to say hi.

Now onto Cadwell for the final fest, with my full valentino team in force. Its one of my fav tracks which I‘ve done hundreds of laps round and we‘ve fixed the leak in the exhaust which must have cost at least 5bhp, cant wait!!!!!

Anyone want to buy a double championship winning Class A bike, get in touch.

Andy
Old 01-Oct-2009, 07:30
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
As ever a great report Andy, (about time Tim got his up, but no doubt he will be turning it into a book )Looking forward to Cadwell.

Chris
Old 01-Oct-2009, 09:32
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Come on Tim, get yours up...................... ooo-errrrr

Any other reports?? I like reading peoples reports and I know many others do.

Andy
Old 01-Oct-2009, 10:23
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys 900ss
Saturday was spent bedding new tyres

Strange hobby

Nice report yet again Andy

I've just about finished writing mine on the lap top, trouble with that is its not connected to the internet and as this PC seems to corrupt my USB sticks (sounds painful) It will have to wait until I'm back at work next week.
Oh well suns out and the 996 is booked in for its MOT today so I'll shortly be off out for a play

See ya at the weekend Champ

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 01-Oct-2009, 10:53
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Blue Army, Well done Andy I love reading the reports.
I'll stick the photos I took on a CD for you.

Craig
Old 01-Oct-2009, 16:43
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Thumbs up Invoice is in the post.. credit terms negotiable!!:lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys 900ss
As I rode down the pit lane after the race my team were waiting with T-shirts saying 2009 champion! Wow, they’d had them done for me, wow,

Thanks to Dave (MLC Racing) for the excellent T-shirts

Andy

I'll be amply rewarded for my work.....
so all the thanks should go to your family and friends for their amazing support. I'm sure its the envy of all the paddock.

Whilst it possible to compete when racing on your own, the level can be so much higher when you have good help.
Best rider and best TEAM won in 2009.

Congratulations! xx
Old 01-Oct-2009, 18:38
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Nice one dude...Dave is right about the great support you have...and those T shirts were mega!

Will get my report written when I get 2 seconds to myself, just rushing out the door to do a photo shoot!