Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:25
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
STM 48T Vs normal

Whats the differemce between a STM 48 tooth slipper and a normal STM or any other slipper for that matter??
Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The basket and friction plates run 48 small teeth as opposed to the "standard" 12 tangs and slots in the basket.
Effectively it quadruples the contact area between the plates and the basket increasing the longevity of the parts before they start to get really rattly.
The slipper mechanism is the same as the normal STM or Bucci or Dp for that matter.
The do an Evoluzione clutch that does away with the 6 springs and employs a single diaphragm sping. This is supposed to give a more progressive takeup of the clutch. Doesn't affect the workings of the slipper. It also looks a lot cleaner IMO. Not cheap though.
Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:32
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisiball
Whats the differemce between a STM 48 tooth slipper and a normal STM or any other slipper for that matter??

The 48T has a basket with 48 slots in it and clutch plates that have 48 tabs, the standard clutches are 12T, the thinking behind it is that the load from the plates to the baskets is reduced and the longevity of the tabs increased.

I love mine ....

[Edited on 15-11-2005 by DIBBLE]
Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:34
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by nelly
The basket and friction plates run 48 small teeth as opposed to the "standard" 12 tangs and slots in the basket.
Effectively it quadruples the contact area between the plates and the basket increasing the longevity of the parts before they start to get really rattly.
The slipper mechanism is the same as the normal STM or Bucci or Dp for that matter.
The do an Evoluzione clutch that does away with the 6 springs and employs a single diaphragm sping. This is supposed to give a more progressive takeup of the clutch. Doesn't affect the workings of the slipper. It also looks a lot cleaner IMO. Not cheap though.

you're nearly as clever as me .....
Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:36
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
Quote:

Oh I wish!! how I wish ......................
Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:39
Dibble

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
Quote:

Oh I wish!! how I wish ......................

well its nearly xmas ...
Old 15-Nov-2005, 22:56
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Cheers

Hi Neil, been offered a STM think its a 48T done a couple of track days, and a full set of spare plates, and the ducati hub holding tools for £300, how does that sound to you?
Old 15-Nov-2005, 23:00
Ducati Corse

That's not too bad a price at all Chris
Old 15-Nov-2005, 23:17
500SD

Mood: head down
ive done about 13000 km on this clutch and im still on the first set of plates. the other DP clutch i have eats plates when used as intended...
Old 15-Nov-2005, 23:27
500SD

Mood: head down
i used a set of plates in 2500km on the Dp slipper .

the only down fall of the STM clutch is if you ride alot on the track then take your own spares as it will be hard to find anything at the track, as the normal slipper is more common and uses standard clutch packs