Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Oct-2006, 12:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDaMauler
Certainly looks bigger and heavier then most cars, but you know what I`m saying...

The idea of "touring" on a luggage laden Ducati sports bike fills me with dread...

I would come back crippled and hating my bike and not wanting to ride it for months...

Its a crazy Idea, why do you think there are different types of bikes? stangely enough designed for a specific purpose ie:

Sports bikes - Race tracks
Tourers - touring
Sports tourers - fast touring
Cruisers - cruising/posing
Off road - off road riding.............the list goes on.

Why dont we have an off road/motoX day for everyone who owns a 999 or 749

Van interesting comments about types of bikes and their uses. I love using the 996 for trips to Europe, but i use the term 'touring' loosely as that sums up visions of droning down motorways.

My idea of 'touring' is riding fast down the twistiest roads possible only using autoroutes to avoid city centres. Full days quick riding followed by nice hotel, good food and a nights party, then repeat again the next day.

Ask Dibble about his favourite roads in the Central Massif. I'd rather do this than Cadwell Park, much though i enjoy Cadwell as well. When i get back i just want to do it again and love the bike, even though its track orientated and not built for touring, sod the little bit of discomfort. The idea of using a Gold WIng fills me with dread.

The only time i don't take the 996 is when i'm planning on doing some off road 'touring' and then its stuff like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ktm scot.jpg (62.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by BDG : 03-Oct-2006 at 12:38.
Old 03-Oct-2006, 14:08
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulian
More photos to show it can be done.

Sure, I could have done the journey from Istanbul-London_Istanbul on my BMW K1200RS ( comfy seat and riding position, heated grips, luggage, cruise control (!) etc etc) but that would have been tooooo easy Where is the challenge in that ?

...and yes it hurt a lot

Fair play to you, istanbulian!

About how many kilometres was the trip?
Old 03-Oct-2006, 19:13
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
I am sorry but looking at that pic of a fully laden 916/996 just fills me with dread...How on earth do you ride it with that big bag on the tank.

You guys have my respect for touring on a 916/996.

My backside looks like a baboons after only an hour in the saddle
Old 04-Oct-2006, 12:13

Mood: Mellow but missing Turkiye
Well it was a total of about 6,500Km.

Istanbul to London in 2 days on outbound leg(Bari to Calais in less than 24hours ); London to Istanbul ona more leisurely timetable of 3 days !

DSt1 you are absoluely correct.....its just as well that the fuel capacity only gives a range of 200km because after the first day of in excess of 1,000km by 200 your backside is screaming for a rest.

However the north Greek mountain roads and the Kavalla by-pass ( East of Thessaloniki) are just a dream on a Duke; makes it all worthwhihe
Old 04-Oct-2006, 16:25
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Total respect Istanbulian for doing that, i love the leisurely 3 day return comment. Top man.
Old 28-Oct-2006, 13:00
Mille

Well chaps, just to bring you up to date, I bought an Oxford Sports Pannier from M&P for £54. I have just returned from my trip when I did over 2100 miles in the week, all in the UK. The Panniers were fine, if a bit fiddly to take on and off.

I tie wrapped them to the pillion grab handle, and bungeed them as described by Istanbullian, and they were totally stable. I used plastic bags inside around the contents rather than the waterproof covers to keep things dry.

I will however look out for some Ventura systems when I have the means!