Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Nov-2006, 08:59
Mille

Hi
I removed the sprocket and carrier over the weekend. All was well in the circlip/carrier area, but the sprocket was moving on the carrier. When I removed the sprocket I noticed that the cush drives were a very slack fit in the sprocket, and there was some lateral play on the sprocket too.

The new sprocket came from B&C Express, in one of their chain and sprocket kits that everyone on here speaks so well of. I noticed that the old sprocket was a much more snug fit in the cush drives.

I have removed some of the lateral play by fitting washers behind the cush drive nuts, although the sprocket can still move to accomodate the cush effect. The result is there is still a little play on the sprocket in both planes, but it is much better.

I have noticed on the couple of bikes Ive seen recently that they have no play, so I am still not sure if my set up is right. Does anyone have any experience of replacement sprockets being a bit sloppy in the cush drive area?
Old 29-Nov-2006, 03:42

Hi Douglas

Mine is exactly the same (albeit S4R) - very slight "play", and have been advised by a dealer here that its ok. I checked a mates 998 and his didn't do it but have seen several 748's / S4R's/ 916's that do.
Hope that offers a little reassurance.
Cheers
Old 29-Nov-2006, 07:49
Mille

Johnny

Thanks, yes that does make me feel re assured!

Douglas