Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 30-Jun-2009, 12:44
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Question Oil cooler, Breaks?

Hello, two questions....

1) I have got an oil cooler (Maybe) I was told that I may need a part to redirect oil through it, does anyone know what this part is and/or where to get one?

2) I have got a pair of break calipers and wish to go down to one, does it matter which side? (the left side caliper is damaged)

Matt #72
Old 30-Jun-2009, 13:42
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
1) Its called a bypass spring, I think they're the same on all 90's 2 and 4v engines, possibly part no 799.2.077.1A, available from dealers or my box of spares and it goes under the threaded bit that the oil filter screws onto.

2) Braking-wise no, but gyroscopic forces-wise probably using the right one only may be better for racing? I'm sure that one of the resident astro-physicists will be along to prove me right or wrong shortly........

Paul

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 30-Jun-2009, 14:30
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
2) Braking-wise no, but gyroscopic forces-wise probably using the right one only may be better for racing? I'm sure that one of the resident astro-physicists will be along to prove me right or wrong shortly........

There's no difference gyroscopic-forces-wise between left and right side single disc. It's interesting to look at the 125GP paddock and see who chooses 2 (smaller) discs vs left or right single (larger) disc. All three set-ups can be seen at all races.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 18:59
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Thanks Chaps!

Thanks, Thats Kind of what I thought (about the breaks) but wanted to be sure I was correct, and not a lemon!

Thanks for the info about the oild cooler thing, phoned pro twins today and they hold it in stock, going to get one tomorrow!

Thanks again Matt
Old 01-Jul-2009, 19:04
Bikes: Desmodue b, 1098s

Matt are you hoping the oil cooler will make your bike 0.00008 seconds faster?
Old 01-Jul-2009, 19:17
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyTwo
Matt are you hoping the oil cooler will make your bike 0.00008 seconds faster?

Come in No 62, if you are hoping to race at Oulton you need to renew your membership!
Old 01-Jul-2009, 19:20
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
That bypass is a bimetallic strip to prevent oil going to the cooler when not required.

For a race bike application IMHO it is not required, as you are more than warm before going on track then its being wragged solid. So any restriction in this area is not necessary.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 19:27
Bikes: Desmodue b, 1098s

Chris, Membership was renewed in December at the same time as sending the racing entry fee. Membership no. 2545. Sam.
Old 01-Jul-2009, 21:19
GTL

Mood: Been Testing the 3 P's (Pizza, Pasta, & PERONI!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
That bypass is a bimetallic strip to prevent oil going to the cooler when not required.

For a race bike application IMHO it is not required, as you are more than warm before going on track then its being wragged solid. So any restriction in this area is not necessary.

Errrr not quite ? The spring flappy thing covers the hole that goes into the oil filter, and diverts it up to the oil cooler port (M14 to 3/8 JIC if memory serves)( that is usually blocked off with a plug on a 600). The return port goes back into the oil filter.
It's a spring flap so that if there is a blockage on the line to the cooler, the oil can flow round it and into the filter as normal.

If you don't put it in, the oil WILL take the path of least resistance, prolly not up into the cooler at all!

Thats all,
mark
Old 01-Jul-2009, 23:00
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Well my 600 does not have it in and the oil flows and returns fine. the return is just a dump back into the crankcase.

I think oil cooler lines getting blocked are akin to having ones arm broken by a Swan.

Very few people know of it ever happening.

Just been having a constitutional rethink on this, it can only be a partial restrictor to maximise flow out of the cooler port, as without it both the filter port and the cooler outlet maybe of similar size. I'll look at installing one now. Perhaps. :-)

Last edited by Ghost : 02-Jul-2009 at 00:37.