Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-May-2006, 14:38
Mille

Mood: twitching
Front brake discs, renewal

Went to get the 996bip MOT today (Finns redhill) and it failed on a warped front disc. Still not sure which one?

Tester said didn’t I notice it pulsing through the brake lever? To be truthful..No not really but as I am due my Tax I wasn’t go large on the way to the MOT garage plus I pass a plod traffic division garage on the way :-)

Pro twins have quoted £187 for the "flower pattern" (not in stock) replacement brembo disc or if I go for the "straight spoke" brembos they are £150, but will need the pair

Still need to know which of the buggers is warped!

So very quick... what ya think

1. Always replace both disc rather than having one part worn and the other new

2. Replace only the faulty one

3. Buy some wave pattern (gaffer?) discs instead, for the front...Any suggestions which ones work best?

4. Anyone got a front disc or discs for sale that isn’t knackered?

b0ll0cks looking forward to riding her this week :-(

Cheers for all your help

J

P.S. Finns wont pass MOT if it doesnt have standard cans on it..Unless it is a SPS that came with the termis on them. just so you know.
Old 03-May-2006, 14:41
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Quote:
Originally posted by james81273
Went to get the 996bip MOT today (Finns redhill) and it failed on a warped front disc. Still not sure which one?

Tester said didn’t I notice it pulsing through the brake lever? To be truthful..No not really but as I am due my Tax I wasn’t go large on the way to the MOT garage plus I pass a plod traffic division garage on the way :-)

Pro twins have quoted £187 for the "flower pattern" (not in stock) replacement brembo disc or if I go for the "straight spoke" brembos they are £150, but will need the pair

Still need to know which of the buggers is warped!

So very quick... what ya think

1. Always replace both disc rather than having one part worn and the other new - YES

2. Replace only the faulty one - NO

3. Buy some wave pattern (gaffer?) discs instead, for the front...Any suggestions which ones work best? - Try e-bay? Galfer have good reports.

4. Anyone got a front disc or discs for sale that isn’t knackered? - I have some you can borrow (straight spoke Brembo)

b0ll0cks looking forward to riding her this week :-(

Cheers for all your help

J

P.S. Finns wont pass MOT if it doesnt have standard cans on it..Unless it is a SPS that came with the termis on them. just so you know.
Try Pretty's in Partridge Green W.Sx

I have added some comments.

Good luck,

RX
Old 03-May-2006, 15:22
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I agree with Ricky, never replace a single disk as you'll end up with a mismatched pair. Replace both disks at once.

The ones in the link Tim gives above are the "flower pattern" ones, which are the latest and lightest centres. You could go with the straight spoke ones as there's not that much difference between the two weight wise, but obviously lighter = better.

Brembo are fitted to Ducatis because they are the best - just look at any MotoGP bike to see what they use. Admittedly you're not buying the same kit as Valentino Rossi has on his Yamaha, but the knowledge they have amounts to a lot. While it's perfectly acceptable to replace the oem no-make disks from the latest YZXRRGSPVFF with some pretty Galfer petal disks, they may still not perform as well as good ol' Brembo.

That's my thoughts, but it's your wallet and your choice
Old 03-May-2006, 15:36
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
One of your discs may well be warped. If you can put the bike on a front paddock stand you should be able to tell by holding something like a small wooden stick (a chopstick would be fine - don't use a screwdriver and gouge your disc) up against the fork stanchion at right angles to the disc. If you butt the stick up to the disc in question, and then leave a very small gap, it should be quite clear if the disc is warped 'cos the gap will either increase and decrease as you turn the wheel, or all the clearance will be used up. That'll mean that the disc is warped or it's not sitting on the carrier right.

One thing to check though is that all your semi-floating buttons are actually semi-floating. I had a big amount of pulsing on my bike and it turn out to be crud behind one of the buttons that had stopped the disc doing any type of self centreing. Out with the WD40 and an old tooth brush and scrub them up - worth a try and could save you big bucks. Take your calipers off first though so you don't get any WD near your pads, try not to get any WD on the discs swept surface and make sure that you degrease the discs thoroughly as a precaution. Worked for me.
Old 03-May-2006, 16:13
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Surely it will say on your fail form which disc is warped?

but yeah, change a pair. Have you tried GPR direct at silverstone for discs? they are a brembo dealer............
Old 03-May-2006, 16:52
Mille

Mood: twitching
thanks for all the feed back...

spoke to bret at pro twins and the previous quote for the discs from them was incorrect. for full floating brembos it is £329 plus vat

I saw at brakesu.co.uk is selling EBC contour full floating front discs (Contour Front Disc Wavy NEW STAINLESS ROTORS)

and all the pads (including rear that i need to get anway) for £289.31 including delivery

sounds good to the wallett but i have to agree with Antonye and buy the direct replacement, rather than saving money and finding the EBC's are just naff

Unless anyone else can put some light on the EBC's?

Handy tip on checking the discs and the buttons..something to do later.

The MOT station said they would be able to tell me which disc had warped if i didnt have braided lines as they would pinch one side off. I suppose they where busy?

looks like it will be protwins and the money i was saving for the 12k service has pretty much gone :-(

J
Old 03-May-2006, 17:09
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...9917#pid294738
Old 03-May-2006, 17:34
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I personally wouldn't go with EBC as I've always found their brake pads to be pretty wooden. Can't comment on the disks as I've never used them, but they are obviously attractive on their pricing, but you have to ask yourself why - cheaper materials? cheaper production? Bigger market share / less profit? I don't know, but I'll stick with Brembo stuff!

Jools gave some interesting tips there about the carrier bobbins - this may fix your problem. Get a tin of Braker Cleaner (aerosol spray) from your local car parts place or Halfrauds and use a toothbrush on them as suggested. No need for WD40 as the brake cleaner will work just as well.

You should be able to check by gently applying the brakes (dragging) and you may feel it pulsing back at the lever if the disk is warped. If not, it may be your bobbins - the test equipment probably doesn't exert enough force on the disks to align them on the sticky bobbins unlike the braking force.

Worth a shot, and cheaper than new disks!
Old 03-May-2006, 19:32
Big Twin

Everyone's saying, replace discs as a pair. Why?

I wrecked a disc on my bike when it was fairly new, ie, around 10k miles maybe, (just don't ask, right? ), and I replaced just the one disc. The bike was still under warranty then, and the dealer's never felt the need to say, oh, you'd better replace both discs as a matter of course.

Obviously if your "other" disc is on it's last legs anyway, it'd make sense to change them as a pair. but if it's serviceable, I see no reason why the brakes won't work fine with one replaced only.

Check the thickness against the minimum value which should be stamped on the carrier. Use a micrometer, though: a vernier gauge will pick up the ridge at the edge. In all honesty, the difference between "min" thickness and "max" (ie, new) thickness is pretty small anyway (0.5mm?), so you'd never have two wildly different discs.

Discs aren't cheap after all. I'd stick with Brembos, though.
Old 04-May-2006, 13:03
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
Whoa! Don't get your wallet out just yet mate (spoken like a true Yorkshireman!). I am assuming that the "warped disc" showed up during the brake test. As far as I know the only certain way to ascertain whether a disc is warped is to put a dial gauge on the fork leg, rotate the wheel and measure the run out which can then be checked against the manufacturers allowed tolerance. This does not form part of the MOT.

If, as I suspect, the problem manifested itself on the brake test when the tester felt a pulsing through the brake lever then the cause could be glazed pads. I recently was getting a pulsing through the lever when braking and even a slight judder at the front end when coming to a halt, which was getting progressively worse. The cure (as suggested to me by Keefyb) was to have the pads out and clean them up, either to cure the problem or at least eliminate them from the diagnosis. Out they came, pad faces rubbed with some coarse emery, finished with a steel brush, and the backing plates cleaned and a dab of copper grease smeared over. Took it for a test and hey presto! – no pulsing and no judder.

If however, you do end up needing new discs I was keeping an eye on a set on ebay (just in case). The seller is siren110876 and the auction finishes on 8th May.