Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jul-2005, 08:48
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
999 suspension settings

Has anyone used a ride height tool yet to check/adjust their rear suspension height yet?
Old 17-Jul-2005, 10:52
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Has anyone used a ride height tool yet to check/adjust their rear suspension height yet?

yes, i made a tie bar measuring tool from a block of wood.

remove your tie rod then get a thin piece of wood, punch centre hole at 0, then 285 mm, take a drill same size ( ideally ever so slightly smaller) as inside diameter of M10 tie bar bush, drill at the centre punch marks, pop bolt from suspension into hole making sure its at 90 degrees to wood. Slide tie bar over, and adjust it till it just goes smoothly over the bolts , your ride height is then at 285 mm. Its a M10 x 1.5 thread so you can trim the tie bar in 1.5mm steps with 1 full turn of the end joint. record your changes each time you move it. I also did holes at 280 and 282.5mm just to try different settings

tie bar goes back in with left hand thread down ( the end with the little grooved ring round bar).
Old 17-Jul-2005, 11:18
BSB Star

I was refering more to the proper Ducati Datum tool. The same as what Harv748 has made.

The reasoning behind my question is that i had a good conversation with rick at jhp, concerning the base settings for their race bike.
Old 17-Jul-2005, 11:31
Big Twin

Quote:
I was refering more to the proper Ducati Datum tool. The same as what Harv748 has made.

The reasoning behind my question is that i had a good conversation with rick at jhp, concerning the base settings for their race bike.

Harv is sorting a tool out for me but all it will give is a fixed measuring point which i can then link to the tie bar length ( you need to know that so you don't go past the 285mm max Ducati use) unless you are having a longer bar made which is something i'd considered as i prefer it set to 288 mm. If the data is off a race bike are they running same shock link and swingarm?? leverage ratio alters on the R and 05 versions ( hence the heavier stock spring).

I'd be interested to hear what they have to say on head angle and ride height as I'm always messing with my set-up.
Old 17-Jul-2005, 13:01
BSB Star

Well, leave the steering head angle alone. The forks come through the yolks to give a measurement of 186mm from the bottom edge of the tube to the bottom of the bottom yolk.

On the rear using the datum tool, which was confirmed to me the 998 one is the same as the 999...... a measurement of 250mm from centre of spindle to top edge of tool.

Mine was set at 230.........
Old 17-Jul-2005, 14:22
Big Twin

Quote:
Well, leave the steering head angle alone. The forks come through the yolks to give a measurement of 186mm from the bottom edge of the tube to the bottom of the bottom yolk.

On the rear using the datum tool, which was confirmed to me the 998 one is the same as the 999...... a measurement of 250mm from centre of spindle to top edge of tool.

Mine was set at 230.........

do you know how long your tie bar is?? I recon the extra 3mm I run adds about 8 - 9 to the actual ride height but its beyond where the threads are meant to insert to in the rod.

i'll jack bike up tonight and measure fork tube/crown
Old 17-Jul-2005, 14:34
Big Twin

does the datum tool stay parallel to the swingarm?? if not then distance from swingarm pivot to axle is going to have an impact?
Old 17-Jul-2005, 15:05
BSB Star

I certainly looked to me as though it was parallel. Measuring my 250mm i could move along the datum tool and it remained the same.

I took my tie rod off to undo the nuts, put it back on again to do the adjusting and locked them in place. I could give you an estimation of its length hole to hole as on the 285mm.
Old 17-Jul-2005, 18:36
Big Twin

Quote:
I certainly looked to me as though it was parallel. Measuring my 250mm i could move along the datum tool and it remained the same.

I took my tie rod off to undo the nuts, put it back on again to do the adjusting and locked them in place. I could give you an estimation of its length hole to hole as on the 285mm.

hum, i cant see how it cn be constant, the tool fixes to swingarm pivot on frame and increasing tie rod length should lift frame away from swingarm and alter angle tool sits to swingarm, never actually seen one so this might not be the case though did 285 equate to 250 ride height or 230??
Old 17-Jul-2005, 18:37
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
Gizmo's tool !!!

thanks