Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Mar-2012, 00:41
Bikes: Ducati 999 s mono

exhausts 999s and insurance

hi i am getting a 999s mono in the next couple of days. it has termignoni carbon race pipe (has the originals aswell), now when trying to get a quote from ducati insurance online, it states modification, there is a box to check that says "exhaust-road legal upto 5%increase power", no i am guessing the termignoni carbon race pipes are not road legal, how much power increase do they make? and how do you guys do it when getting a quote as most of the 999s have these exhausts fitted and if they arent road legal what happens after an accident, is it the case you aint insured. any help guys
Old 22-Mar-2012, 10:44
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
hi i am getting a 999s mono in the next couple of days. it has termignoni carbon race pipe (has the originals aswell), now when trying to get a quote from ducati insurance online, it states modification, there is a box to check that says "exhaust-road legal upto 5%increase power", no i am guessing the termignoni carbon race pipes are not road legal, how much power increase do they make? and how do you guys do it when getting a quote as most of the 999s have these exhausts fitted and if they arent road legal what happens after an accident, is it the case you aint insured. any help guys

Quite frankly you are better of phoning the broker than trying to do this on line. I am sure that someone like Ducai Insurance will provide cover including a Termi system - provided that you are honest and say what you have fitted. You may well also find that the system is not allowing more than 5% that you quote.
Old 22-Mar-2012, 11:04
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
Depends which system you have.If its the asmmetric can and front pipe the power gains are very small,...if anything.Not that loud either,tbh.My old 999 passed the MOT no problem.(I did grind off the 'not for road use' stamp.
The full 2-1-2 big bore system is a very different thing.
Old 22-Mar-2012, 18:44

hi have spoken to ducati insurance service,they just want to know if the exhaust is road legal if it isnt ie doesnt have baffles they will not insure it.have txted the seller to ask if it has baffles waiting response, can baffles be bought separetly???
Old 22-Mar-2012, 18:46
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
hi have spoken to ducati insurance service,they just want to know if the exhaust is road legal if it isnt ie doesnt have baffles they will not insure it.have txted the seller to ask if it has baffles waiting response, can baffles be bought separetly???
I will defer to others who may know better, but I would think that DB killers would be available on a well know auction site! Overall you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 22-Mar-2012, 19:09

hi the seller says that the exhaust has baffles but underneath the exhaust says not for road use????? any help
Old 22-Mar-2012, 20:56

If its causing you a head ache buy a standard end can on eBay they are 10 to the dozen and can pick em up cheap. I think most bikers ride with race cans on but choose not to tell the insurance.
Old 22-Mar-2012, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh jaynus
If its causing you a head ache buy a standard end can on eBay they are 10 to the dozen and can pick em up cheap. I think most bikers ride with race cans on but choose not to tell the insurance.
it come with originals but i would like to insue it with termis if possible, as i guess if u put it on and have an accident the insurance wont pay out
Old 25-Mar-2012, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
it come with originals but i would like to insue it with termis if possible, as i guess if u put it on and have an accident the insurance wont pay out
thats exactly it. either declare it and pay, or dont and run the risk.
Old 25-Mar-2012, 22:14
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh jaynus
thats exactly it. either declare it and pay, or dont and run the risk.

But this is the OP's problem: if he declares the cans it's not that they'll charge extra, it's that they won't cover at all because the cans are marked as not road legal.